IMHO: Revolut should focus on improving/perfecting the basics

What do you mean by “Real Debit Cards”? Are the Revolut cards flagged as Pre-paid?

They are.

twentytwenty

They are supporting 3d secure, but they simply don’t ask for SMS or some other confirmation. The security is done internally by some algorithm.

They are indeed pre-paid, it would be nice to have a regular debit, like TransferWise does.

The point is more how the card is configured. “Real” debit cards are usually configured with a service code that allows offline payments on planes for example. Most prepaid cards have a service code that does not work with offline terminals. But there are debit cards without prepaid printed on them that also have an online only configuration out there. Prepaid and debit are just labels while the service code configuration actually defines how useful the card is in certain situations.

Still without 3D secure.
Failed payment to book a bus ticket. Topped up TW with the revolut card. Didn’t worked. Top up back. Pay with credit card.

There was a post on Twitter yesterday where Revolut acknowledged that they are working on 3DS.

1 Like

Thanks for all the details, very informative :pray:

Many users are asking for features or what they think are bugs, that are not something Revolut could change or made possible.
DCC is an invention of the credit card industry - Revolut can not do anything about it like forcing charges in local currencies.
Also, FOREX is closed on weekends, there is no way Revolut can do anything about it.
FOREX ups their rates on weekends to make sure they don’t get any surprises on monday.
People getting their salary on a Revolut account must be crazy, as they will soon reach their limits.
Same goes for people paying their rent or utilities via Revolut.
Revolut is not an all around luxury banking replacement for free!
Also there are many , many regulations to prevent money laundering. These need to be handled by humans.
No, i’m not in any affiliation with Revolut, i’m just reading through this forum (which is not a suppert forum) and add some personal experience.
So do not expect anything from Revolut that’s not promised.
Sure, they are experiencing a lot of growing pains, but in general the system works pretty well (if you don’t overdo it)

1 Like

Unique? You mean “free” or, to be exact, subsidize services? Would you use Revolut if it would be priced at the same as your bank? Maybe not, because banking is generally build on trust and you must be crazy to trust shell company without any real assets. Banks are moving forward with their mobile applications and just a matter of time they will be providing (or already proving) the same services at a price. So the only questions is how long Revolut can and will subsidize services?

Not crazy, everything is working very well so far :slight_smile:

I’ve been receiving my salary on :r: for 11 months now without issue, and paying 99% of the time with Revolut.

Thats not true. Revolut could do something about it.

Yes and no. Other services can provide that too without such a surcharge - but then, admittedly, most of them have a service charge in the first place.

What? Receiving your salary is one of the reasons to have an account. The limits are artificial an unusual in the first place.

What can they do about that ? DCC happens before the transaction is done.

There are some threads where this has been discussed at length. One option would be to prevent charges in GBP, respectively only allow charges in a particular currency. Possibly depending on the location / point of charge.

That will fix DCC in PoS kind of, other than your transaction will be declined and that is kind of embarrassing. It will not fix DCC online on sites such as Booking.com or AirBNB

I completely agree with this, many of the most basic functions either don’t work properly or have never worked at all. I’ve posted a few times about the crypto charts not working (at all) or the exchange rate data not updating with no resolution, yet I keep seeing all these fancy (and unwanted/uneeded) options appearing that most users will never use.
Another basic, but very important issue, is moderation/response time. For a couple of weeks I was completely unable to post anything on the forum so I sent AndreasK a PM about the problem. While I as waiting for a response I thought that maybe it was a moderation problem that could be affecting other users - so I PM’d every listed moderator here explaining the problem - not one of them replied. Not a single one. The in-app support was clueless as to why also, zero help. AndreasK eventually got back to me & I could magically post again, after over 2 weeks!
It seems pointless adding buggy new fancy options that nobody wants before the absolute basics are working properly - get the basics right first, then add the fancy bells & whistles.

It is not embarrassing if you know why it happened and if it happened because the merchant made a decision on your behalf without your approval. I am not quite sure what you mean by “online DCC”.

It might not be the perfect solution and maybe there are better ways to fix it, but it would tackle the DCC issue and would prevent that sort of overcharging.

Airbnb does not allow you to choose what currency to pay with. They will always enable dcc and let you pay in ex dkk when booking a usd flat.

Alright, I understand what you meant, though that is technically not DCC, as there is no original price which gets converted upon payment. But yes, these case are naturally impossible to avoid.

Oh there is. If I book a place in New York. Then that price is set in usd. But Airbnb will only let me pay in dkk and convert it for me.

Does it show the price in USD to you? If it does, I’d wonder why they wouldnt let you switch. Anyhow, technically its not DCC and thats what I was referring to :slight_smile: