Identity verification keeps failing

Hello. This is not a problem that I have myself but it’s my brother’s. He has tried to join Revolut many times now but he can’t get through verification. We suspect that the problem is that his ID card is old and his photo on it is with long hair that covered his forehead a bit, while now it is longer and doesn’t cover his face at all. He was also underage then and is now over 20 so he looks more grown up now but he doesn’t have a beard or anything… However, he only has this problem with Revolut. Every other app has accepted his ID just fine, even betting apps, and he has traveled to a different country with his ID (we’re part of the European Union so we only ever need the ID to travel to other EU countries). He doesn’t own a passport (as many EU citizens don’t before planning a trip to a different continent) and doesn’t have a driver’s license. I also have an ID where I’m underage, literally 12 years old in the photo, and I’m now mid 20s but Revolut had no problem with my ID at all. It’s an annoying problem to have.
What can we do to get Revolut to accept his ID?

1 Like

Hello @zygxxv :wave: ,

Welcome to our Community. We are sorry to hear that your brother is unable to verify his identity. Has he tried the basic troubleshooting yet?

1. Make sure the Revolut app is updated to the latest version available
  2. Clear the device’s cache:

iPhone: ‘Settings’ → ‌’General’ → iPhone storage → search for the Revolut app → select ‘Offload app/clear cache’

Android: ‘Settings’ → ‘Apps’ → search for the Revolut app → click on the app → tap ‘Storage’ → clear cache

1. Close the app (close it completely from the app switcher)
  2. Turn your device on and off
  3. Try with both Wi-Fi and mobile data — ensuring that network connections are strong and stable
  4. If none of this helps, use an alternative device (if possible)

Once he completes the basic troubleshooting steps, we would request him to try again. Before that, let us help him with the simple guidelines on how to upload the documents:

• Make sure the document is clear and readable, blurry documents won’t be accepted
  • Capture the entire document, don’t fold, crop, or exclude any part of the document
  • Upload a photo of the physical document
  • We can’t accept pictures taken of copies, scans, or device screens

His identity documents need to meet specific criteria in order to pass the verification process:

• It’s a supported identity document type
  • It isn’t handwritten
  • It isn’t expired, damaged, or unreadable
  • The personal information on the document matches the information in hia Revolut account

Hope this helps! Feel free to reach out to us again if the problem continues. :pray:

SG | Community Team