[Idea] Use Revolut App to pay on NFC Terminals

Since Android Pay/Apple Pay are not yet implemented, because it involves adding revolut card to Apple/Android app and meeting their requirements, why not allow the Revolut App to directly pay using our NFC capabilities?

Example: on android, there is an app called SEQR that allows us to pay using that app (it’s not android pay) and then, using direct debit SEPA, it then takes the money from our bank account.

So, if SEQR can use NFC to pay on terminals, maybe it’s easier to Revolut implement on their on app “tap & pay” and, using our phone’s NFC, pay using our Revolut funds.

It seams easier since it depends only on revolut app, and not on third party apps like Android/Apple pay.

22 Likes

It is good idea, you meant about HCE - Host Card Emulator in the app. It would be great, but in my opinion, Android Pay is better solution. I’ve tried a few bank apps with their own HCE technology (PKO BP, ING PL) and always there was some problems, witch was not present using Android Pay.

2 Likes

Yes, indeed, Android Pay would be a better option, but the app is not available in a lot of countries where we use Revolut (example, in Portugal, I cannot install Android Pay).

Using HCE, would not have this limitation.
Android Pay VS HCE

• Android Pay is better, but more difficult to implement and not available on a lot of countries;
  • HCE is easier to implement, and would be available worldwide.

I’ve been testing SEQR for two weeks and worked on every NFC terminal I’ve tried so far.

1 Like

Millenium worked flawlessly :sunglasses:

When I was using IKO (pko bp) I had many issues when paying more than 50 PLN (entering pin in app) and when I was paying on a few old readers, the first what was supporting pay pass / pay wave (eg. in Stokrotka stores)

Try move to BZWBK. There work both: HCE and Android Pay. Both work flawlessly. He’s advantage: gives possibility to use virtual card by the phone (I mean: you don’t have plastic card at all but you can pay using HCE)

2 Likes

HCE all the way. Why complicate things with android pay? I would really start to question the decision making process at revolut if they ignore a quick and easy solution in favour of the corrupt Android Pay solution which is a walled garden and stops working in some places. HCE doesn’t. At least if revolut drops the ball on this there will quickly be a challenger bank that i can switch to in order to avoid Android Pay. The future of banking is bright, the question is will Revolut have any part of it or are they too enslaved by the incumbent powers. Signed, someone who has escaped the google prison and ain’t going back! Much love people

2 Likes

Well it’s not a bad idea… Android Pay and Apple Pay require a percentage of the transactions to go to them, so this wouldn’t be a bad idea. Although this would not work for iOS devices.

I moved from Leupay due to very poor Customer service to Revolut. Fantastic app and services but very disappointed that it does not have mobile tap & pay, i got used to the feature on Leupay and must say a bit disappointed. When will this be implemented, please ?

I am interested in this feature too!

Postfinance in Switzerland has a great implementation of this as well.

Info for anyone thinking of using SEQR, renamed Glase. The company ceased the service last month as they couldn’t raise financial backing.

While revolut is wondering what to do there are other players on the market implementing nfc pos payment. Android pay, g pay, apple pay, is not available worldwide and they have their conditions. If you dont do it soon, oportunity is lost.

Technically, there is no difference between a proprietary Revolut NFC payment or Apple/Gpay (from the perspective of the POS terminal). A merchant does not have to support either option specifically. If contactless cards work, Apple/Google Pay or “Revolut NFC Pay” would work.

Implementing this is a pain. Due it device fragmentation with Android devices, this would need serious investment of developer resources. And not just once, but also to support it for future android OS and device generations. Also, it could be only made available for Android users.

“Outsorucing” this to os manufacturers seems to be the reasonable thing to do. Besides privacy concerns related to Google services, I can’t think of any reason why a
proprietary NFC solution would have any benefit.

2 Likes

Not quite. The terminal needs to support tokenized NFC transactions. A “old school” contactless card usually does not have tokenization. This will only hit the traditional cards in some time as only very few issuers have started to implement this in their chips.
So if this requirement is met, all different methods should work.

Well, yes. We could go into details. But that is not specific to the question card vs. mobile payment. Because the same would be true for the card itself.

If EMV contactless is supported, Apple/Google pay should work.

I don’t agree. EMV in it’s basic form does not require the implementation of tokenized transactions. It’s just abandoning magstripe in favour of Chip&PIN. It does not even require contactless to be EMV compliant.
It’s true that since it’s introduction in Europe quite some time ago it has moved forward, added contactless as “kind of” mandatory and also introduced tokenization to offer such things as A/GPay.

But assuming that any terminal supporting contact less cards will also be able to handle APay and/or GPay is not correct, you will still find terminals which decline your device instantly because of lacking support.

What indeed would be true is, that if A/GPay works, there is no reason why a “Revolut NFC” App function would not work. On Android, this would be possible to implement, with all the hassles regarding the different brands of phones and how to implement a secure storage of the key elements on the phone without the option to read it by any malware App.

From todays perspective, what is the gain for Revolut? It would give you a split in functionality between iOS and Android devices as Apple still does not allow full access to it’s NFC module. As of now A/GPay are available, but obviously with the imposed schedule of Apple/Google when it will launch in which region.

This is the missing piece. Everything else about Revolut is outstanding. There is no excuse not to implement this feature, if you want to make Revolut complete. There are a few nice to have functionalities that can be replaced by nfc payment If it is a matter of support effort. Google pay does not work in many countries, added to the fact that monopoly is never good for the end user. There are other wallets gaining popularity just because of properly working NFC payment. I am keeping two wallets on my phone because of this missing functionality, cannot say for sure if Revolut is better or not. After all you are not “wallet free” or “card less” with Revolut just enjoying somewhat enhanced experience over what your bank is offering.

Want to use Mastercard Revolut with Google Pay contactless in-store payments. Google Pay have Revolut as supported but it don’t work

You are trying with the Virtual mastercard, or with physical?

Physical. I’m trying to found who block it, Google or Revolut.

1 Like