ID checks compared to High Street banks

When opening a High Street bank, there can be lots of confusion as to what the bank will accept as valid ID to open an account. It gets so bad that 2 different branches of the same bank will have different requirements. As someone who works somewhere with constant new employees specifically hired from the Nordic countries I have seen countless people being denied, saying they lack a certain document, but they’ll walk into another bank and have no issues!

I know that banks are under pressure to combat fraud and illegal immigration, but why does Revolut not require the same level of scrutiny when opening an account? I’m not complaining mind you, just wondering why it’s so easy to open an account with Revolut compared to a High Street bank?

Hi @JerCastle,

Thank you for contacting us.

In order to be able to use Revolut, you need to verify your account. This policy is in line with a UK banking regulation called 'Know your Customer’ (KYC) and is the process of a business verifying the identity of its clients. It is simply an anti-corruption and fraud measure.

However, some UK users won’t need to verify their identity, as we’ll do it electronically behind the scenes. UK users should try and top-up their Revolut account with a debit card first.

If we can’t verify your identity electronically, you will be prompted to do the following:

Go to the ‘More’ section of our app, tap ‘Profile’ and then ‘Verification & limits’. You will be need to take a photo of a valid government issued photo ID and a photo of your face. We may request a copy of your legal right to remain (e.g. visa, residence permit) if you provide a passport issued in a country outside of the European Union.

Topping-up limit
Help/Advice General Discussion