IBAN for Switzerland

Wow, I learned about PostFinance charges from 1 January 2019 also by chance, in Revolut forum. No info sent to PostFinance customers so far (at least not to me).

I liked PostFinance, everything was simple and efficient.
Is it worth paying 5 CHF/month for this account though - I don’t know.

Revolut personal IBAN would solve the problem for some people :slight_smile:
If it comes before end of the year.

Had a quick look at Neon. Extremely feature limited. Even for a beta.

I think the PostFinance Card alone is so useful within Switzerland, that 5.-/month are well spent.

It is useful, but can be easily replaced by Swiss-issued Maestro (UBS, CS, Banks Cantonal, etc.).
They also charge a fee for an account though.

With some conditions the CLER bank seems to have a free basic account+Maestro, but doesn’t seem to have English support (that PostFinance does very well, both online and on the phone)

For my use case, even with Personal IBAN from Revolut I wouldn’t be able to fully switch, cause of bill payments (Orange Payment Slip) - so I am stuck with Swiss banks.

Maestro has less online acceptance. Pretty much any Swiss online shop let’s you pay with Postfinance though.

In any case, as you rightly pointed out, if you live in Switzerland and need to pay bills, Revolut won’t work as your sole bank account anyway.

What do you miss?
As for me all the basic national services are there: bank to bank transfer, payment via payment slip, direct debit. Only that recurring payments aren’t possible is a downside.
I use Revolut for all other currencies anyway.

overview of all neon services: https://www.neon-free.ch/media/neon_services_and_prices.pdf

Recurring payments alone is a no go for me.
Missing SEPA as well.

Why do you need SEPA from a swiss bank account (unfavourable exchange rate included) if you have Revolut?

Because I need to maintain balances in CHF and EUR. I receive and send EUR, so no exchange is taking place. And before you say, why not use Revolut for it? Well, for time being I don’t think they are ready to replace a bank.
But even if I put aside SEPA, not having recurring payments is a no go. Also, after the 2nd ATM withdrawal, I am being charged 2 CHF by Neon. Since Switzerland is not a cashless society yet, I’d run up ATM charges that are higher than what my bank charges me monthly for 2 accounts and a Maestro card.

I’m also not sure what I should do with my postfinance account. They had quite some problems in the past:

• maintenance work during the weekend where it was not possible to login to the e-banking
  • wrong totals for a few days in e-banking

All other banks I’m checking out have even higher fees, or everything in a package which a lot of features which I don’t need.

I love revolut very much, but I’m not sure if I would trust them with all my money…

Well, for those using Postfinance or Postcard to pay in online-shops, they can still use Twint (which is supported almost all online-shops one can pay with Postcard in)… With QR-Code, Twint actually works kinda reliable…

I’m currently moving all my assets from Postfinance to my main-banc; I’d rather pay for the V-Card (after year 2 :wink: and use Transferwise for paying “to EUR” as my banc has no free SEPA-payments…

And yeah. If revolut :r: acts wisly, they’d speed up the CH-IBAN thing (and the whole “paperwork for IRS”) NOW, as people in Switzerland are looking for an alternative to PF… If they don’t act NOW, :r: is forfaiting their acceptance in CH…

there are a lot more things to solve than just offering a CH IBAN though

@Daidai
granted…

(Post must be at least 20 characters)

these other features will be “coming soon™” :smiley:

E.g?
For my case like salary, pay bills and so revolut is enough. I don’t need more. Ok, a statement end of the year for tax but no more.

Currently a combination of Revolut, Transferwise and Cler Zak covers my use cases. All of them free. Zak real chf account, bills, maestro + mastercard, free withdrawals on cler atm. Transferwise Swiss Iban, US account data. Revolut, use for payments und transfers.

• you can have your salary paid to the pooled GB bank account? My experience has shown that you need an account that is in your name, preferably with a CH IBAN.
  • how do you pay bills with reference number? (orange payment slips)
  • debit direct