I am disappointed by the auto opt-in to information sharing with credit bureaux

BTW, this is an entirely different topic. The setting passes dozens of components and a lot can happen until it is used eventually. For example, in the app it could be called optOutToggle. In some API marketingToggle, in the database marketingConsent, and finally when it is checked userHasGivenConsentToShareData. And along the way the meaning could change completely.

But whatever they do and whatever bugs they have, it doesn’t change the fact that I am withholding consent when the toggle is on. And I am not doing so when I turn off an “opt out” setting. (although auto-enabled opt-out toggles are also in violation of the GDPR, just not nearly as much as auto opt-in)

I wrote them an email. This is not only sloppy - it is downright illegal, and I hope somebody will report them to the relevant authorities if this is not cleared up fast.

When even their own customer service center is confused, something is wrong. It is one thing for Revolut to say that they take compliance super seriously. Another thing is what they do, and this is just one of those things …

Under GDPR, consent must be:

1). Freely given , i.e. data sharing with 3rd parties must not be enabled per default
2).
3). Unambiguous . Do I opt in or opt out when it is blue? It is a very ambiguous choice of wording.
4).

2 Likes

The violation is not so much because it is ambiguous. It is because not withholding consent is not the same as giving consent. So, even those who choose to not opt out have never actually opted in (as required by the GDPR, their updated privacy policy does not change that)

The violation are on both counts. A valid GDPR-consent has a number of requirements. Fail one requirement and it is not a valid consent. Basically they must delete all data shared/stored/processed up to the point where they gain that valid consent.

A consent cannot at the same time be freely given and ambiguous. It also has implications for revocation, which is in an equal state of limbo.

Nope, when blue = opt-in, we were automatically opted IN. as the Switch was on blue when appearing.
See? BIIIIG issue acc. GDPR, AND contradicting informations including missleading descriptions in the (android)app.

But let’s agree “again, something went terribly wrong leaving customers confused, and must be fixed by revolut the day before yesterday”… Ok?

3 Likes

Not a single reply on forum from R staff about this fiasco. :broken_heart:

2 Likes

Damn, I’m lost again with this…

Seriously, @anon33247966, what is what?

iOS: blue means IN or OUT?
Android: blue means IN or OUT?

Please, easy questions, easy answers…
Thx

1 Like

First in their twitter was BLUE to OPT-OUT. Not they said GRAY to OPT-OUT…
I`m confused as you are…

“The switch was on blue when appearing” → and blue as per the switch’s rule means opt-out. If they messed up and you’re actually opted in even though they show you the “opt out” state then they have to fix either the display or their processing of the state. This is what they must do immediately.

What does not help at all is telling people that black is white. Black remains black and neither twitter nor a support agent’s reassurance makes it white. Especially if they change their mind multiple times per day and even have to delete tweets because they are confused themselves. The ON (blue) switch means that the label next to it is true. Everyone’s state is shown as opted out by default.

Also, none of this changes that fact that the GDPR requires explicit consent to opt in. An on-by-default opt-out switch to share personal data violates the regulation because turning off the switch does not satisfy consent requirements as set forth by the GDPR. (And of course auto opt-in is a total violation anyway, but so far the UI does not reflect that.)

1 Like

I uploaded this image already within this thread, but as you’re not willing to read the comments in here, pls. have another look at it:

From my support-chat. Agent was ok me sharing it, as even THEY received contradicting/wrong information:

Edit: just for you, I’m mentioning it again:
“Opt-out is gray(disable) while the blue(enable) means that you agree to share your data.”

…an OFFICIAL statement against your knowledge.
Which one can be trusted more? Except you’re part of that “relevant team”, but then you should mention it, so we know YOUR information is the one to rely on…

I think they should re-word the text so its consistent with the Marketing Emails option:

I want Revolut to be able to share my data with third party advertising platforms, so I’m included in targeted marketing campaigns”

Is this really so hard to understand? I’ve seen this. I’ve talked about it multiple times. And I’ve commented on it. Again, just for you:

What does not help at all is telling people that black is white. Black remains black and neither twitter nor a support agent’s reassurance makes it white.

And no, this is not an official statement. Any agent can be wrong. But even if it was totally official, sanctioned by Revolut legal and external comm., they can say what they want if the screen says something else. They cannot make a screen with “I want to opt out” and then tell you that this means that you want to opt in.

Well, @resolut, your example is wrong to me, sorry.
Black is black and W is W because we can see it and there is no doubt, tell a blind person this black is white and he will trust you. You can’t blame @the-mike to trust Revolut support…
So to know if this blue button is IN or OUT is impossible. Only the “engineer” behind this button knows the truth. WE are blind…
Everything you said is about your personnal interpretation. Some people see it like you, others don’t. Personnally I can easily agree with both of you, it depends from where you look at it. To me there is a mistake on how it is shown in the app and then there is space for doubt. And THAT is the problem.

So please, both of you, cool down and wait for confirmation from Revolut (sometimes it takes ages I know…:weary:). Everything you’re fighting for is a different point of view and interpretation, so relax :wink:

cheers

This is a standard iOS component. STANDARD. The meaning is absolutely clear, defined by Apple for the whole platform. It has been there since iOS 2, with the look like this since iOS 7 (6 years). If on Android this is confusing, ok. But on iOS it is not. Google UISwitch. Or ask anyone who knows the slightest thing about app development.

because we can see it

I can read “Opt out” next to an enabled UISwitch (below a topic title)

wait for confirmation from Revolut

But it is not up to Revolut to confirm how UISwitches work. The UISwitch is a UISwitch as defined by Apple. The example is totally valid. What we have to wait for is a Revolut app update with a GDPR conforming opt-in mechanism.

Once again, I understand what you are saying, but let me show you something.
It’s not big deal but it doesn’t follow the logic so I understand it can bring trouble in minds…(green OK means I’m ok with that)

So regarding this picture, you allow everything with blue (emails marketing, push marketing, etc…) TITLE+TEXT under, which make sense. But, weirdly, the topic we are talking about doesn’t follow the same “rule”. And THAT is tricky. The button is taking action on the title or the text under? To me, instead of “unsubscribe blablabla”, they should better write “subscribe blablabla” so it follows the title and the rule of the other options of marketing. It’s like everything is blue to agree, except the last one where you have to “agree to disagree”. A bit like when votations time comes, you have to vote yes for something you don’t want…:sweat_smile:
What do you think?

Then, I don’t know where you found I said Revolut must confirm how UISwitch works, because I don’t care. They must confirm what is the action of the little blue button (IN or OUT).

2 Likes

Well, generally I think we all agree. Revolut has to take action. I do not agree, however, that it is up to support agents to define how user interfaces are supposed to work. Revolut has to provide a fix through the app, not explanations via separate channels.

The title is a short topic description. The label next to the control specifies what exactly happens when it is enabled. Of course I agree that it is bad UI. But it is clear, nonetheless. The title does not contain enough information, but the label does. And it says that ON = opted out. A state toggle label never describes what would happen if you pressed the toggle, it does not describe button actions. It describes what happens if the toggle is ON. Also, if the title would read “Marketing data sharing allowed” and the label “Opt out”, then there would be at least a direct contradiction. But if the title reads “Targeted marketing” and the switch label says “opt out”, then it is clear.

So, they don’t have to confirm anything as it is impossible to confirm that an “Opt out” UI state is supposed to mean “opt in”. They have to make sure that opt out means opt out and they didn’t mess up in the backend. Additionally, they need to refine the UI to get rid of (apparently) confusing UI and to be compliant with the GDPR requesting explicit consent (opt-in).

I don’t think there is any space for doubt… To me is clear!
The text states: “Opt out from using your data…”, so if the toggle is active, it means I am opted out.
This also is in accordance with GDPR, we should not be opted in by default.

If the text simply needs to be fixes, it is a simple fix. Revolut had already lots of time to fix the text and send an in-app notification.

The sharing with credit bureaus is another joke… How on earth are we opted in by default, and have to contact support to opt out? Again, GDPR!

2 Likes

Are you just being obtuse?

First it says ‘TARGETED MARKETING’ - then it says ''Opt out from using your data bla bla"

These are contradictory.

2 Likes

In fact standard users just dont’care at all about how the code behind does work. The relation between the text and the toggle (however it is coded) MUST be clear and understandable wether you are a developper or not.
So Yes it is Revolut’s job to clarify this.

1 Like

I do not seem to find the In-App chat with support. Can anyone please point me to where this feature is?