How to transfer CAD to TD Canada Trust Bank?

I want to transfer some funds from Revolut account to an account in Canada at the TD Canada Trust bank. Does anyone know how, and what charges I might run into?

Meanwhile, I’ll scour the TD help pages.

The TD Bank’s help page says I should include:

• Recipient’s Name
  • Recipient’s Full address
  • Recipient’s Account number
  • Branch transit number and full branch address
  • TD’s Institution number: 004
  • Swift Code (international) TDOMCATTTOR

I don’t see a way to enter the following items:

• Branch transit number and full branch address
  • TD’s Institution number: 004

Can I just omit these?

The question is: does Revolut have a gateway account in Canada, in which case you won’t be paying any receiving fee, or is the money spend through Swift, in which case you will pay an insane amount of fees?

I don’t have the answer, but a sure thing is that Transferwise has a gateway account in Canada. I had to send money to Desjardins Bank in Quebec once, and we had to pay no receiving fee with Transferwise.

1 Like

Thanks, @Nonown.

Well, I priced up Transferwise and it wouldn’t beat Revolut. TD will charge 17.50 CAD to receive a SWIFT txn.

I got help from a Live Agent. You can specify the receiving account including the five digit transit number with the account number, e.g. 123451234567. All done. I’m happy.

I believe there might be other intermediaries charging you on the way. I’d be interested to know, can you post the result in a few days?

Sure. I’ll reply when I know

1 Like

Hi! Are there any news?

I can see you can enter the transit number + account number in the “account number field”, but what do you put in the “Routing number” field?

Hi!

I slammed my head on the wall until something came out. I thought it’d be nice to share the result.

In the “account number” field, I did not use the “dboy technique” (see above). I simply used the 7-digit account number. Revolut accepted that, but I don’t know for now if it works :slight_smile:

In the “routing number” field, I entered 9 digits in the format 0YYYXXXXX where 0 is the leading zero, YYY the institution number and XXXXX the transit number. See https://transferwise.com/us/blog/how-do-i-find-my-institution-number. Same as above : Revolut accepted it, but I don’t know yet if it works.

It did work :slight_smile:
It took 3 days.
Hope it helps :wink:

If useful, I’ve transfered money from my EUR Revolut account to my CAD Desjardins account succesfully, with no fee at all, SWIFT or other, even from the receiving bank ( ie Desjardins).
Enjoy !!

2 Likes

Next step would be to be able to transfer money from my Desjardins account to my Revolut account.
On Desjardins side, it seems that I only have to ask, to activate my international transfert option.
But from Revolut, it seems more uncertain… I was surprised lately to find the option to open an account in CAD in the App !! It appears I have succesfully exchanged some of my EUR into CAD, but all inside the app. And when I go and look for the IBAN of my CAD account, it is in the “old” way, with still a Reference (unlike my EUR account), but without any warning. My GBP and USD account IBAN come with a warning on international transfert fees from the source bank, and my EUR account IBAN even come with a warning that only SEPA transferts are accepted, SWIFT transferts are rejected !!!
I do not know what to think…

Found this list of routing numbers for canadian banks which might help others with this query. http://canada-banks-info.com

Hi,

Just curious to know how much, if any, TD Bank charged your account for recieving international money transfer from Revolut.

1 Like

Good news. There was zero fee applied by TD or by Revolut (of course). I checked.

P.

2 Likes

Here is current verified method to add your TD Canada account to transfer to it money:

1. Log in to your account on EasyWeb TD site.
    Select the account you want to move money to.
    On the right side you’ll se “Direct deposit form (PDF)”. Click it, and you will get informations you’ll need next.

2. In your Revolut add account with these information:
    Account number: just your TD Account No. number, nothing more (you have it in the downloaded PDF file also).
    Routing number: Construct it from information in above PDF in this format: 0[Inst. No.][Transit No.] eg. 000412345 for 004 Inst. No. and 12345 Transit No.
    BIC/SWIFT: For TD Canada it is ‘TDOMCATTTOR’

For more information:
Information about routing number construction here (Option 4): link.
You can check your routing number here: link.
More information (about SWIFT more deatiled): link.

1 Like

Sorry, I’m new on Revolut , I 've tried to send money to an account holder in Canada with Revolut but even with all the information needed I can’t have the validation of the bank account. I’ve already did in Tanzania and it worked easily, but is it because the account holder is a Senegal person but resident? can you help me? it 's a friend of mine.
I ve got all his name the SWIFT and the number and tried with all the sense …
Capone

Cześć Bartek, udało Ci się rozwiązać ten problem? Ja próbuję przelać pieniądze do tego banku, ale: 1. aplikacja oczekuje podania 12 cyfrowego numeru konta -ja dysponuję 7 cyframi TD account, więc poprzedziłem go dodając Transit (5 cyfr)
2. Kod instytucji (3 cyfry) - to akurat proste, bo mam 004
3. Kod banku (5 cyfr) - i tu mam problem, bo to muszą być cyfry, aplikacja nie daje możliwości wpisania liter, więc swift odpada. Podałem ponownie Transit, który jest właśnie 5-cyfrowy. Odbiorcę udało mi się w tej postaci zapisać, ale niestety mój próbny przelew 2 CAD, odbił się od banku.

Cześć Preston,
Nie ma konieczności wypełniania wszystkich 12 cyfr w numerze konta (chyba, że coś się zmieniło w ostatnich wersjach Revoluta). Właśnie sprawdziłem w moich kontach zapisanych w Revolut i cały czas jest tam wpisane tak jak powyżej opisałem i działa:

• numer konta: 7 cyfr
  • routing number: 9 cyfr skonstruowanych jak wyżej 0[institution number][transit number]

Natomiast mam też konto z innego banku, w którym jest numer 12 cyfrowy, i też działa.