How to decline recurring payment?

How to decline the future attempts to be charged (with mastercard) by a recurring payment that was once agreed but now the merchant either refuses to cancel subscription or is not accessible.

1 Like

There is no other way than to block or destroy the card, as far as I know.

Feature request: The option to block a merchant from charging your card

5 Likes

is this still not possible?

Not possible and I don’t think its planned.

It is very disturbing that banks do not allow me to block purchases from particular merchants with my money. Examples: 1) It happens that the right merchant is hidden in online purchases (you cannot see which organization is behind this). However, I know that I have bought a bad product a couple of times and would like to stop making same mistakes. 2) I mistakenly signed up for a service for 1 month - I just wanted to try the service. Then it was almost impossible to delete the “membership”: the email address was unresponsive, their web pages without responses. Later (I know, it was my mistake), I saw in Terms & Conditions that it was a Luxembourg company and they request a written cancellation by classic post (!!) and - amazingly - only non-Lucembourg citizens could use this service.
Refund requests are time consuming and full of legal loops. What is the reason I can’t manage my purchases the way I want to do on my own? I don’t want to block anyone but myself from this kind of dealers. Thanks for the reply.

Under English Law :r: has to stop recurring payments on the working day that you inform them. Sending a message via chat should be sufficient notice. If they don’t stop payment you are entitled to compensation.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/banking/stopping-a-future-payment-on-your-debit-or-credit-card/

Issuers usually don’t even know that recurring payments exist. Intermediate providers store the real card number on behalf of merchants and issue a virtual token/handle with which the merchant can initiate additional / recurring transactions. So, basically, from Revolut’s point of view it looks like you have given your card number to a merchant and agreed that they can use it for future payments. (PSD2 w. 3DS2 will be a a bit different, but most of that is still not implemented)