How do I use Revolut across multiple countries + what charges for cash withdrawls and purchases?

Hi
I am travelling to:

Australia
Bali
Cambodia
Sri Lanka

What is the best way to use your service? Do I top in the local currency for example I am based in the UK but when I first arrive in Australia do I top in Australian $? Then, same for the other destinations?

Sorry this question MUST of been asked so many times, however I am a bit lost!

Also, my final question is charges for:

• Withdrawals from an ATM (what costs and limits are imposed anything else I should know?)
  • Purchases - say for e.g I purchase dinner at a restaurant what costs do I incur through Revolut?

Many thanks

Simon

Hi there.

The rule is that you should top up in the currency that your bank account is held in. For example, if you have a UK bank account make sure you top up in GBP. If you donā€™t your bank will convert the money for you and charge a huge fee!

We currently support top-ups in 26 currencies - EUR, USD, GBP, PLN, CHF, SEK, NOK, DKK, RON, AUD, NZD, SGD, HKD, ILS, TRY, AED, CAD, HUF, INR, JPY, MAD, MXN, QAR, THB and ZAR. Once you have loaded your account, you can exchange between the currencies in the app; send free money transfers in 26 currencies to banks around the globe; or spend in 120 currencies with a Revolut card.

Weā€™ll take care of the conversion for you when you use your Revolut card abroad. For example in youā€™re in Thailand, weā€™ll convert your GBP balance to THB automatically when you spend with your card.

Please note, if you are topping up via a bank transfer outside of the EU your bank may charge you a large international wire transfer fee as such transfer would go via SWIFT.

Sometimes when you use an ATM, you will be asked to choose between a ā€˜creditā€™, ā€˜checkingā€™ or ā€˜savingsā€™ account. You should always choose either a ā€˜checkingā€™ or ā€˜savingsā€™ account.

If the ATM (or card terminal) asks whether you would like to complete the transaction ā€˜with conversionā€™ or ā€˜without conversionā€™, you should ALWAYS choose ā€˜without conversionā€™.

As a rule of thumb, you should always opt to be charged in the local currency of the country youā€™re in! If youā€™re in Thailand choose Thai Baht, in Spain, Euros or in the United States, Dollars.

If you choose ā€˜with conversionā€™, the merchant or ATM provider can apply their own exchange rate. This rate usually has a mark-up on the interbank rate, enabling the ATM provider or merchant to make a profit on your transaction.

8 Likes

Thanks thatā€™s useful.

So, if I want to do the following:

• Top up money onto the card and use the card in Australia, do I need to top what I want for e.g. lets say Ā£500, so do I convert this to Aus$ in the App so I can use the card in Oz? Or do I just load the card and in Ā£ as this in my UK bank account. I am just getting my head around how to use your service - a step by step simple instruction would be sufficent so I just understand what and how I use your service.

• Secondly, when I am in Oz or any country I would like to know if your card is good for cash withdrawals, or is it better for me to use my Bank debit card? What are the charges for cash withdrawls from an ATM?

• Thirdly - If I use the Revolut card for paying over epos for e.g lets say I buy some groceries is it better to use your card or a bank debit card? Again what are the costs of using your card againt a tradition bank debit card?

Sorry as you must answer these same questions all the time, I am just trying to figure out a step by step process of using your card and the costs associated so I can plan my trip and finances.

Best

Simon

Hi Simon, from my understanding, itā€™s best to top up in GBP and do the conversion via the app, that way youā€™ve locked in the currency at that particular time at that particular rate (you can actually set a rate alert so it notifies you when it reaches a rate you set to convert at) once you have done this, then itā€™s a choice of either using cash machines to withdraw (there are limits to withdrawals, after this, you will be charged a percentage)
If you then use your Revolut card at the cash machine you would only have to worry about whether the particular machine charges for withdrawals and youā€™d have to make sure you choose ā€œwithout conversionā€ so youā€™re not charged for changing into AUD. if you use your debit card, you have to factor all of the above in plus whatever rate your bank charges (normally on the day the transaction shows at their end)
If you use your Revolut card in store over EPOS then you would need to choose ā€œwithout conversionā€ again to ensure youā€™re not charged for changing into AUD (as you already have AUD on you Revolut card), if you use your debit card you would be subject to the exchange rate at the time of the transaction registering with your bank, also any charges applied by your bank.

3 Likes

Hi @anon33247966,

I just read your post saying that you support top-ups in 26 currencies including ILS - Iā€™m interested in topping up in ILS, but I donā€™t see ILS as one of the currency options when trying to top-up my account: could you please confirm if ILS top-ups are supported, and if so how should I proceed?

Many thanks,
Larry

You canā€™t yet top up with ILS with card only via bank transfer. You can find ILS details in app -> More -> Profile -> Account Details -> ILS

Got it, thank you for the clarification.

Hi all

I will travel to Iceland.
I have exchanged some Euro into Iceland Korona in my account. Now when Iā€™ll be there and I will pay something with my Revolut card, Iā€™ll pay with Euro or with Korona if I have money in both currency?

Thank you!

Here is an official post:
https://www.revolut.com/help/exploring-revolut/spending/which-currency-balance-will-be-deducted-for-spending

Hi,
Can i check that whatever thatā€™s discussed above is also applicable to the Virtual Card?
For example if I am travelling to Australia, Iā€™ll look to top up my revolut account exchange to AUD, but a payment at a cafe contactlessly (using Gpay) with my multi - virtual card will go through fine? (assuming of course the cafe accepts contactless payment methods).

Thank You!

Ando perdida con las nuevas condiciones en referencia a comisiones que se aplican desde el 1 de julio de 2022.
Puedo continuar sacando el equivalente a 200 ā‚¬ en otra divisa sin ninguna comisiĆ³n?
Puedo pagar con otra divisa distinta al euro sin que me apliquen comisiĆ³n como hasta fechas anteriores a 1 de julio?
Que comisiones han cambiado al pagar y/o sacar dinero fuera de la zona euro.
Gracias en avance

Hello!

Does someone know how to transfer money from my european visa card to a russian visa card (through Revolut) ?

Thanks in advance !

Not through Revolut, they have stopped all payments to/from Russia and Belarus.

You can try other banks though. If the bank issuing the Visa card and the account holder are not on the sanction list (and a few Russian banks are currently not sanctioned and not cut off from Swift) it should be a normal Swift transfer to the underlying bank account. Might be delayed though as banks have to do extra checks. You wonā€™t be able to do a transfer through the Visa system using the card number as they have cut off Russia completely and Russian Visa cards will only work within Russia.

Hi

Still a tad confused about using card in other countries!

So I have a sterling account but am travelling through Holland, Gemany, Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

I understand (I think) that it is best to top up via my sterling account but what I am confused about is what to do in the other countries.

I thought the best thing to do is to create Euro, Norwegian Krone and Swedish Krone and move from the sterling into those currencies as and when necessary. Is this better than having just sterling account and letting Revolut do the currency conversion at the time of use?

Sorry if this question has been answered before.

I have a similar question. Iā€™m going on vacation to Turkey.

Do i add ā‚¬ to my Revolut card in my home country? And change ot to TL?

How do i change te valuta or is it beter to take cash with me and change it in Turkey for TL?

Iā€™m sorry but Iā€™m confused.

@norway2022 Whatā€™s best for you depends on your personal circumstances and risk appetite. You may make some gains by exchanging in advance, or you may lose a bit. Depends how the exchange rates move.

Personally I donā€™t bother exchanging in advance if itā€™s not a currency I regularly use (which means almost never). Revolut is very reasonable when it comes to exchange rates and I donā€™t have any currency left over after my holiday I have to change back. But thatā€™s just me.

Can you use your phone app to pay for good/services in both Iceland and South Africa if money in my account is Euro will Revolut automatically convert payment to respective currency of that Country?

1 Like

Hi @AntoLim and welcome
Iā€™ve moved your post to a different topic where this can be addressed for you.

2 Likes

Hello @AntoLim :wave: , Welcome to our community, mate. :heart:

I know, travelling can be exhausting sometimes especially when it comes to currency exchange.:expressionless: Donā€™t worry :r: is here for your rescue. :ninja:

Check this FAQ link to know the details about travelling with Revolut. To know the charges for currency exchange, donā€™t forget to check this link. :smiley:

Have a safe journey. :luggage:

@Graham_Lees , thanks for moving the post. :heart:

SG | Community Team

1 Like

Hi, sorry for gate crashing this post but I canā€™t see how to create a new thread, Iā€™ve only just joined the community.
Iā€™m in France, I have activated a Euros account and put ā‚¬500 in the account but when I pay for anything it debts my GBP account. When this account has insufficient funds it fails the transaction and I have to use another card. What am I doing wrong?

1 Like