Hidden fee - CHF transfers?

I recently made my first CHF 300 transfer (net of fees from my bank - PostFinance CH), just to discover that only CHR 292 was credited to my Revolut account. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Yes, this is a known issue, transfers from Swiss banks may incur additional fees which may vary from bank to bank. This is due to the Swiss banks not Revolut. For Postfinance it usually amounts to 8CHF per transfer, UBS 5CHF, others may be more - depending on the type of transfer, amount transferred, intermediate banks, etc.

See these threads

There are more discussions about this in the forums

Ok I seriously just spent a 5% (50 / 1000 CHF) top-up fee whilst topping up from my Swiss Postfinance account.

This is a fucking joke! Tell me a reason why I should use Revolut at all resp. use topping up via SEPA if the fees are five times higher than the credit card fees proclaimed by Revolut?!

Just gonna spend my money and bin the card. This is absolutely pointless unless it is possible to send to a Swiss IBAN.

Same here topped up 3500 in CHF from Postfinance with “shared cost” only to discover that I got only 3335 CHF in my account from Revolut…I am quite angry now…

Guys, please, if you don’t want to have bad surprises (well, too late now…), just read before doing something you don’t know…
It’s written how on many topics already.
Some exemples:

• Forget Credit cards (1.84% fees)
  • Forget Debit card (we don’t have it anyway :slight_smile:
  • Postfinance there are some options depending the amount, read.
  • UBS the same, read.
  • Transferwise to send and transfer CHF --> EURO. fees depends on the amount (ex: ~0.36% for 3500CHF)

So I did some digging and the only reasonable explanation what‘s happened is that PostFinance converted my 1000 CHF into GBP and Revolut probably did the same back to CHF.
Guess i‘ll Have to live with that now and next time choose a different way of topping up, should I ever consider doing it again

Thanks but there is many things to observe. When I check again my payment I see that postfinance did not send CHF to UK but actually converted themselves to GBP and sent a (lower amount with a bad exchange rate)…then it’s not clear if “shared cost” or “our cost” should be used…Maybe postfinance has changed something in their system that they do not allow anymore to send CHF to UK but always to the conversion themselves… I my other bank Raiffeisen there is this option to send CHF abroad (although they tell you to send USD or destination currency.)…

Well, it’s a big mess and to have a perfect answer for everyone is not easy (impossible?). We all have different banks and fees, amount to transfer, etc…
I’ve read somewhere here a good exemple with Postfinance, i’ll try to find it.
Otherwise as i said, Transferwise could also be a choice. I’m not aware of everything, I had to learn on this forum too and to adapt to my needs.
Good luck for next time.

1.The cheapest way would be transfer via Western Union app. Using your credit card transferring to Revolut account. In GBP. Exchange Rate almost same as Revolut. Transfer fee 0.00. But unfortunately Revolut does not accept Western Union transfers?
2. TopUp using applepay. With SwissCard no fee in CHF. Does not work with Boon.

PostFinance will set the transfer currency depending on the country of recipient while you enter the data for the transfer; but you can change it manually to CHF before you send the order. If you go through the process too quickly, it’s easy to overlook the currency field. But transferring CHF to the UK definitely possible. As mentioned in these forums very frequently, a normal “Giro International” costs 2 CHF in PostFinance fees, and another 6 CHF is taken off on the way to the recipient. Someone mentioned this amout is higher for transfers over 10000 CHF, but haven’t tried that yet.

you surely made somthing wrong …

I sent with Postfinance CHF 600 with SWIFT/GB.Lloyds
and I got CHF 594 in my Revolut CHF account (- CHF 6) in October 17

I sent with Postfinance CHF 1200 with SWIFT/GB.Lloyds
and I got CHF 1194 in my Revolut CHF account ( -6) in January 18

lucci topped with PostFin. CHF 3000.- with SWIFT / GB. Lloyds
credited on Revolut was 2994 (- 6 CHF) / abt 12 feb 2018

As it is no fee-sceme available from Lloyds / Revolut
I will learn it by doing…

This CHF 6 goes surely to Lloyds and has to be accepted.
Don’t forget all the advatages you have,
when finally the money is at Revolut.
I have experienced Revolut for abt half a year and
I give Revolut a 5* rating !!!
br/siri