Has anyone used the card in Sofia?

Any hints or tips you picked up? Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

I have used my Revolut card in Sofia and all around Europe without any hassle. It’s a MasterCard with benefits, so It’s should work anywhere where it’s accepted! :slight_smile: :r:

Don’t worry, @Nixy. Revolut card works anywhere in Bulgaria.

I am having issues with using my Revolut Card in Bulgaria.
The newly issued cards I have are not recognised at certain banks cash machines and Payment Terminals.
So far it is Unicredit Bulbank, Central Cooperative Bank, Fi Bank, American Credit Bank - any POS (in shop chip and pin or contactless) or cash machines run by these banks. The message I get is card not valid on this terminal. At other machines run by other banks the cards work as normal.

My original Revolut card works everywhere but it is my newly issued Glow Card and newly isuued Plus Card which have this issue.
So I can pay in the same shop or draw cash out of the same machine if I use my old worn revolut card.
So I can’t go out and rely on being able to pay with my new Revolut Cards as not everywhere accepts them (depending on which bank runs the payment network in the shop).

I notice that the cards which don’t work have a different 1st 4 digits than my original card, but are all Visa.
The cards are all activated.

I think Revolut need to update something with the payment machine operators or Borika.

How can we resolve this?

It’s usually the other way around. Payment service providers (merchants) need to update their databases when issuers issue cards with new card BIN ranges.

It’s not uncommon to run into acceptance problems like this. Unfortunately, service providers aren’t keeping up with the update cycles at which fintechs change things like this. In olden times, banks would test a new product half a year, and then issue it. And then stick to that BIN range for 25 years.

1 Like

How can we get Revolut to sort this out?
I suppose they need to update the payment processing company?

It’s not Revolut. It’s the specific ATM providers that need to update their BIN lists / software. Some of them may update based on a fixed schedule — but you should definitely bring your issue to the attention of these ATM-providers. I don’t know what steps Revolut can do for you, but try and contact the in-app chat, and they may be able to forward your issue to the relevant provider on your behalf.

My experience with BIN-related issues on this forum is that these issues typically resolve within a couple of months.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.
Do Revolut (or any banks) actually send details to the providers when they create new card numbers to let them know or do they just wait and hope that these payment providers update themselves?
There must be a list/database or something they need to send?

This isn’t just ATM providers - this is also Point of Sale Terminals.
The biggest Bank in Bulgaria is Unicredit Bulbank - the newish Revolut Cards can’t be used in any merchants who use Unicredit POS or any Unicredit Cash Machines - and this is only one bank that the cards don’t work on.

I would think it is in Revoluts interest to make sure we can use their cards instead of having to carry a back up bank card? I hope they can see the posts in this community, but I will contact them on the in-app chat.

I hope to make some progress :crossed_fingers:

The number ranges are managed by the card networks afaik (e.g. Visa and Mastercard) - Mastercard makes their list available for free if you download it manually - and they update it daily according to their support documentation. However, they also offer direct API access, and it seems developers need to pay for that depending on usage/volume.

I sure hope that the card networks make this a priority and mandate daily updates in future, because it is also essential to have the correct BIN info to charge correct fees.

https://developer.mastercard.com/bin-table-resource/documentation/support/