Got charged the wrong amount in Peru?

Hope you can help with this one - I went to a restaurant in Peru tonight and the bill came at S/. 126 to which I added S/. 12 tip so in total my receipt showed I was charged S/. 138 (roughly £32.5 using today’s rate), so far so good…however looking at the revolut app it seems as though I was charged S/. 165.60 (roughly £40.11 using the conversation rate by Revolut)…I really don’t understand why the receipt is showing one thing and the revolut app another. I made sure this time to ask the merchant to charge me using the local currency…
All the funds in my Revolut account are in £.

Would be great if someone could give me some advice!

Thank you.

1 Like

Weird.

So this time you see that the conversion happened within the app but the amount charged in PEN was higher than the amount the credit card terminal showed? Is the “receipt” you’re talking about a printout from the credit card terminal or from some other POS computer?

If you google “credit card” and “Peru” you will find some comments about incredible high merchant fees that are passed on to customers (5% to 8%).

Thanks again for the reply - I wished i’d known this before going to Peru…but it seems strange that they wouldn’t incorporate those fees during payment? The receipt I’ve got clearly shows I have been charged S/. 138 so do those fees get added on afterwards without the knowledge of the consumer? Also in this case there is a 20% difference between what the receipt shows and the transaction on revolut! I never knew credit card processing fees could be that high!!

The receipt was taken directly from the terminal btw

Yes, it is weird. Because it seems not to be about conversion but the amount that hits your Revolut account is already off. I would take some photos of the receipts and screenshots of the corresponding transactions as shown in the app and ask the Revolt support (chat, DM on Twitter, DM here in the forum) if they have an idea about what is going on here.

Hi Frank,

Just got this response from the revolut team on FB:
´Firstly, please be informed that this is a common practise in Peru. Merchants, notably in the restaurants, are sending an authorisation for the higher amount like a deposit. There was no additional charge for a transaction applied by Revolut. When the merchant is completing the transaction, they’ll refund you that difference. I understand it might be a little bit confusing. You can also contact the merchant.´

Seems like this is the norm in Peru, although i have never seen this before…I will wait a couple of days and see whether the merchant refund this ‘deposit’ back to my account…

Just thought I’d share this in case this is happening to other people…

Thanks!

2 Likes

Okay, thanks for posting. It’s good for future reference.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Refunds are hard to spot. When a transaction changes from “pending” to “completed”, the amount secretly should also change to the right amount. It is good that you kept your bills to keep track.

I’m not sure what the tipping culture is like in Peru, but is it possible that the restaurant is pre-authorising a possible addition of a gratuity in a similar way the US has peculiarities with handling card payments in restaurants?

It would be interesting to hear how you get on when the transaction has settled in Revolut

I believe @Tcs106 said earlier that the expected amount already included the tip. The charge was still higher. And with chip/PIN, higher pre-authorizations shouldn’t be possible without knowledge.

Ah yes, missed that…
Would still be interested to hear how this one goes

Hi @Tcs106

Firstly, please be informed that this is a common practise in Peru. Merchants, notably in the restaurants, are sending an authorisation for the higher amount like a deposit. There was no additional charge for a transaction applied by Revolut. When the merchant is completing the transaction, they’ll refund you that difference. I understand it might be a little bit confusing. You can also contact the merchant.

Hello,
The exact same thing just happened to me in a restaurant in peru and im disappointed to say No Refund!!!

• Bill arrived: ok.

• Card machine brought and showed correct amount which i accepted and entered my pin: ok.

• Receipt from restaurant pos and bill correct: ok

• Revolut app charge comes through WHOPPING 20% higher than bill!! : not ok!

The charge was pending for 3 days so i was hoping as AndreasK mentioned i’d get a refund but nope.
This is my first experience with Revolut and im really disappointed, 20% from nowhere, i want the money back!

3 Likes

Did you get your money back?

This exact thing is happening to me right now in Peru 4 transactions ALL 20% overcharged on my Mastercard!

It seems that with VISA this does not happen!!

Oh and on my sister’s Monzo Mastercard the correct amount was billed in the end. Disappointing how Revolut cannot figure it out.

1 Like

Have been to Peru several times since 2004 and can clearly state, that I have never made an experience as in @AndreasK s Scenario described.

I used Deutsche Bank VisaCard and Stadtsparkasse Mastercard.

Same happened to me in dez 17’ in Perú… I initiated a chargeback process - no luck. Everything seemed fine, they couldn’t detect a problem, but there were 20% too much in the app compared to my receipt received at the restaurant. At the end someone from the support told me to log out from the app and reenter (of course I had to enter my number again, sms arrived, logged in). Then what a surprise: the amounts changed suddenly to the right ones in the app!

My message is only referring to Revolut cards.

Same here… 20% on top at restaurants. Supermarket the exact money

Hi
I am in Peru and I have exactly the same problem ! The amount shown on Revolut app is much higher than the one on the bill (nearly 20% more !). It does not happen to my friend who has a Visa Revolut, whereas I have a Mastercard Revolut. I have ordered a Revolut card not to have fees when travelling but I have more fees than with my ordinary bank. I am so disappointed, I have the feeling to be fooled… Revolut, can you fix that ?

Just returned from Peru. Twice used Revolut card (MasterCard) in restaurants, twice found 20% added to the figure I signed for. Both restaurants challenged, both said it was not them who added the extra. However, around 5 days later, once “Pending” disappeared from the transaction page on the App, the final figure returned to that signed for.
Disconcerting, not pleasant for the restaurant to be accused of fiddling the bill, but no one can tell me why.it is done there.
Revolut Chat only has a 24 hour wait time!! They want me to hold on.