GBP base currency, but only want to hold USD

I understand that the base currency (For top-up purposes, spending, …) is related to where the account holder lives. That’s fine.

Just wanted to know whether it’s possible to hold a zero balance in the base currency (GBP) and have all my funds in an alternate currency (USD.), and then have all spending via that.

Essentially, purchasing goods and services that are priced in GBP, but with the USD funds in Revolut auto-converting per transaction.

•GBP purchase: Default to GBP, but due to no GBP funds, using USD funds and converting it to GBP in Revolut.
•EUR purchase: Default is GBP→EUR, but due to no GBP funds, using USD funds and converting it to EUR in Revolut.

The pound sterling isn’t the most… stable of currencies. I’d like to minimise exposure to the currency if possible.

Sure it is possible.
Just as you described, Revolut will use the balance of the following “accounts” in order of priority:

• The currency of the transaction
  • The “base” currency
  • Any other currency you have

It actually begs a nice question. Now that we have multiple currencies available, what’s going to happen if you have, let’s say, enough balance on more than 1 non-base currency that’s different to your transaction? :slight_smile:

So I’m paying in euros, my base currency is PLN, but I’m only holding Israeli Shequels and Romanian Lei- both in adequate amount? Is Revolut going to use Shequels or RON?

1 Like

If I understand, from the account with has more funds on it. But I’m not sure about it.

1 Like

So the card will first try to use the local currency, then if that’s not possible it will go to your base currency, then if that’s not possible it will go to the next largest available currency balance and so on.

2 Likes