Free Transfer lies

the problem is that you advertise it comparing it to services that deliver exactly what you transfer, to anyone anywhere.

revolut transfers are only free to other revolut users and it’s only delivered complete if no intermediary charges anything.

this is misleading advertising

2 Likes

That’s not just Revolut - that’s how SWIFT works! Other banks and financial institutions use this method. However, the difference here is that we do not apply a fee like other services. Therefore, we offer fee-free international transfers.

Let’s say you want to transfer from your German Bank to your Indian Bank. Your German bank will charge a fee for international transfers, plus all the all the intermediary banks involved, as your German bank has no direct relationship with your Indian Bank.

Taking the above example to reply to your feedback, if your German bank doesn’t apply a fee for letting you transferring funds internationally, then can proudly say and advertise International Free Transfers, as they would not be responsible for what further fees would be applied!

As pointed out above, you compare yourself with organizations that DO NOT just use SWIFT but give you a guaranteed amount of money to arrive at the destination. Also, it doesn’t matter how the system works, your presentation is just a lie. It’s not about why there fees, it’s about Revolut claiming there aren’t any (see screenshot).

Well, that’s a good feature. So why not advertise this feature instead of tricking users into thinking that you actually offer much more than that? It’s great you don’t charge extra here, but it does not make the transfer free. Given the fact that there are dozens of posts in this forum complaining about this very thing, you must by now know that users understand your advertisement in just the way I’ve argued. So why haven’t you reacted to that changing the wording so that the users knows the fact that the transfer will not be free for them?

4 Likes

banks with high fees like on the ad always send SWIFT transfers as OUR, not SHA, warranting you pay your international debt correctly.

same does transferwise for ~ 6 USD on same currency or a % if cross currency, or my bank (starling) for around £2 + forex.

Revolut has the POTENTIAL of being free if if if if if. that’s why I say it’s… misleading

3 Likes

Ok thanks both of you for your feedback. Our legal and marketing teams will take it onboard.

2 Likes

@jucs it’s already on our website and FAQs:

p.s. So if X offers free card spending and Y charges a fee for using its POS, then X shouldn’t advertise that it offers free card spending because Y may charge? Interesting!

6 Likes

Yes, hidden in the FAQ, we were talking about the front page and not about the FAQ. The FAQ should explain things in detail, not state the opposite of what’s on the front page.

Even though it may sound ‘interesting’ to you, you should not deceive your customers. And yes, of course X shouldn’t advertise free POS usage if further fees apply. It should just advertise that it doesn’t add extra fees. In short: X should not lie. The transfer is not free, you call it free, you lie. This very simple thing doesn’t change if you replace Revolut by X and intermediaries by Y. Oh and plus, X shouldn’t claim to be allow cheaper payments than Z if Z already includes all fees in their price plan while X doesn’t.

5 Likes

However, X is not lying, it offers free card spending and it’s not on X if for example an ATM Y charges a fee or Z may not charge. X is still offering free card spending as no fees would be applied by X.

5 Likes

I’m really sorry you feel that way but we definitely not deceive our users. If fact we learn from your valuable feedback.

But you don’t offer a free money transfer. So you claim something you don’t offer. The transfer starts exactly in my account and finishes in the account of the receiver. However, less money arrives there then I’ve sent. So it’s not free. I really don’t understand why this needs so much discussion as it’s such a simple thing. The transfer is free if and only if the amount of money I send arrives without deductions at its destination.

2 Likes

I feel that way about this detail we’re discussing about, not Revolut in general. Actually, the reason I’m discussing it and not just remove the app is that I like Revolut. I just think that posts like this (see the topic) are bad for your company and could be avoided. Revolut actually offers value and doesn’t need fishy advertisement. Just be honest and people will like you for that. If you make people think the transfer is free and then it’s not, they hate you instead.

4 Likes

My role here is to prevent any miscommunication and clarify how the system works.

Regarding your point, I think we’re going circles, as this has been explained above. If Revolut was charging a fee then it would be a fee for SEPA, where there’s no fee for SEPA. Because with SEPA the transfer starts exactly in my account and finishes in the account of the receiver and no fees apply by the beneficiary.

Thanks again for your feedback, much appreciated!

1 Like

How hard it is to write that you don’t charge anything for your side of service, but depending on currency receiving bank may charge something? Really hard? Also properly calculate and display the comparison graph.

If you show that TransferWise for example charges something when in fact it already includes their fee and the receiving bank fee and you only show your fee (0) and then don’t show that receiving bank will dedeuct X amount for their part of service.

How hard is that?

7 Likes

It’s funny how the same people here complaining about ANYTHING! Really guys? Do work for a competitor? Possibly!

p.s. They even like each other answers hahahah

1 Like

I work for common sense and reason mostly. You know them?

Could you stop attaching your meaningless blah-blah to every thread that contains some criticism? It’s useless and tedious. By the way, I work at a university.

1 Like

What is common sense, that you spam every post?

Of course I’m not saying the oposite but I can give you tons of example where there a few people here spamming every post. I believe this is constructive feedback.

You really think your post contained constructive feedback?

1 Like

And can you stop attaching your content-less blah-blah nonsense comments to every thread? Also, as a professional working for a university, you should know the difference between criticism & spamming every post!

Guys, please do not over react. We’re a community here and every single feedback is appreciated.

5 Likes