Foreign Currency Withdrawal at Travelex atm (Heathrow, Gatwick etc.)

Hi, I was interested to know if anyone has loaded their card, converted their cash to the desired currency e.g. USD and made a withdrawal from a multi currency ATM (Travelex etc.) you get in most major airports? I’m going from Heathrow, and I was hoping to withdraw a few hundred in dollars in the hope it takes it from the USD dollar account on my card with no fee as there is no conversion (similar to withdrawing £’s from a travelex machine in the UK)

The UK Travelex ATM will most probably convert the USD to GBP (at a terrible rate) and charge your card in GBP.

Better to wait until you get to the US to do it. Even though the ATMs there will charge a fee, they will charge the card in USD so you will get a better exchange rate which should more than offset the fee (if the amount is big enough).

I have drawn EUR (base account GBP) from the Travelex machines at Gatwick and Bristol Airports without any problem.

They will often try really hard to force DCC on you (i.e. convert the amount into GBP before debiting your account), thus giving you terrible rates.

The only machines were I managed to withdraw USD and EUR in London without DCC before were Raphaels Bank machines. See also here: