Fees on the weekend

I understand that you contain in your FAQ, information about the extra charge on weekend conversion however in the interests of being transparent I feel this should be listed in your charges section because it is a charge. It is not a conversion using perfect rates so therefore a charge and it should be more clear. I should not have had to go searching on google to why the rate I was getting was lower. If you make this more transparent it will allow people to make and informed decision as to whether they use cash, another card or yours on the weekend.

When there’s no market rate for a particular currency, Revolut uses the last known market rate and adds a margin of 0.5%. This applies to all currencies at the weekend (Friday 5pm NY to Monday 7am Auckland). By the time there’s a new market rate, it might have moved in Revolut’s disfavour. Therefore the 0.5% margin is to protect Revolut against a loss. Other liquidity providers, even investment banks for which a “small trade” is millions, use a similar approach when liquidity is low and they want to continue to offer a tradable price. I wouldn’t call the 0.5% a true charge or surcharge, but a markup or margin.

For transactions at times when a currency has no liquidity, I would prefer that Revolut delayed the FX until the liquidity returned rather than adding a 0.5% margin to the last known rate, but some users wouldn’t like the uncertainty. Perhaps there should be a choice for the customer.

I’m hoping this is a temp thing until Revolut figures out how not to lose money on the week-end. 0.5% is actually high enough to even generate globally a profit on a weekly basis but I assume this is not the end business model.

I love revolut but my main usage, like most people I assume, is on week-ends: most people travel for or during the week-ends.
Now, this 0.5% fee is not competitive enough anymore compared to what (my) Mastercard is offerring

How are weekend surcharges displayed in the transaction?

Hi There,

The reason why I subscribed to Revolut was in the first place to spare money on international payments when abroad (on fees and exchange rate). Indeed, my bank charges a 2% fee on my Credit Card for payments in foreign currencies (other than my home country Switzerland CHF).

Now it’s probably the case that Revolut uses a more competitive exchange rate for the payment but i have two issues here:

• When I top up my Revolut card with my credit card, my bank still charges me a 2% commission even if I directly transfer CHF to my Revolut Card (already as much as if I did a payment in a foreign currency!!).
    -When I top up my Revolut card via bank transfer with IBAN and leave the fees to the beneficiary (Revolut/Lloyds), it charges me a crazy 5% !!

Now what’s the point of using this Revolut Card if the fees is the same as with my “normal” bank Credit Card. The only difference it that the fees is on the payment on my usual card and the fee is on the money transfer on the Revolut Card.

Is there a way to top-up the Revolut card without having to bare fees ?!

Many thanks and best regards,

J.

If you’re from Switzerland, there’s an entire thread dedicated to best top-up methods.

OK, I understand there’s a 0.5% surcharge, but then why is the exchange rate not displayed correctly?

When I check the exchange rate tab in the app on the weekend, I’d expect to get that price, not another random one.

@sixerson

Hi, as daniel9 just said, if you’re living in Switzerland the only way to avoid fees to topup is to useTransferWise (my referral link: https://transferwise.com/ae/julienm107). You can have a look on this topic for more info: SWITZERLAND - Free top-up methods --> working method (TW)
It’s easy and fast. You just need to create a borderless account and order a card. The TW card has swiss IBAN so you can send your money for free there, then topup from Revolut through this card (also free of charge).
Hope it will help you