False exchange rate

Hello,
I made an on-line purchase and was offered to pay via PayPal. The on-screen sum was £274.82 GBP with exchange rate 1 GBP = 1.09711 EUR and Total amount €301.50 EUR. When I clicked to pay, in my app I was charged 315.54€. Why so? I couldn’t even see that sum when confirming the purchase.

Maybe conversion into EUR happened on Paypal’s side? It sounds to me like your Revout account was charged in EUR.

Well… actually I don’t care which side the conversion happened on. I was prompted to pay 301€ and so I did. But was charged 14€ more.
Waiting for the reply from Revolut team.

Hi @GintarasV you should be able to tell from the transaction what your Revolut card hit. If it appears as a EUR payment, the conversion happened before it was presented to Revolut. And you might want to find out how to disable the optional FX conversion on PayPal’s end. If it still looks to you like it is Revolut’s fault, I would recommend to contact the support via in app chat.

@GintarasV Yes, @Frank is correct. It sounds like the conversion was made by PayPal. For future transactions, you can go on the Payments section on PayPal and then select “Pre-Approved Payments” and then select “Funding Sources” and then click on "Conversion Options” next to your card. This will give you the option to select the to select “Bill me in the currency listed on the seller’s invoice”. Then click submit and save. This is not a guaranteed fix but it should prevent PayPal from applying their conversion again.

3 Likes