Exchange Rates - All You Need To Know 😉

We all know the term “Exchange Rate” but there are many things about exchange rate which you may not know.:money_mouth_face: So, I decided to let you guys know about those details. Let’s check out.

What is an Exchange Rate? It’s a way to describe how the value of one country’s currency compares to another country’s currency.:money_with_wings:

Exchange rates are usually labelled with the currency codes of the two currencies being compared. For example, GBP/USD exchange rate. The first currency listed is the one being purchased.

The number describes the price of one currency in terms of the other currency. So, GBP/USD exchange rate is 1.32 means you need to pay USD$132 to purchase GBPÂŁ100. :atm:

Why are exchange rates important? If you are travelling somewhere in the world, no matter whether that’s for a short time or long time, you need to be aware of the exchange rates when converting or spending the money. They also play a major role when you are transferring money internationally.:moneybag:

Revolut offers a great Revolut rate, making it simpler and more affordable to send money abroad. Just choose how much you want to send and where to.

Why do exchange rates change? Exchange rates are floating all the time as foreign exchange traders buy and sell currencies. When a currency appreciates, its exchange rate with another currency increases and more of the foreign currency is needed to buy one unit. If a currency depreciates in value, that means its exchange rate with a foreign currency goes down and less of the foreign currency is needed to buy one unit.:abacus:

Where can you see exchange rates? You can use our foreign currency converter widget to compare current exchange rates across all the currencies of the world.:earth_africa:

Hit “like” if you think this is good.:heart_decoration: Let me know in the comment section if you want to know about anything else.:arrow_double_down:

Veda | Community Team

7 Likes

You didn’t mention the effect of Spread on exchange rates…

1 Like

Why is the mid-market rate shown in the Sell screen? Shouldn’t we see the Sell rate? I mean, I see 1 EUR = 1.1028 USD, but 100 EUR will get me 110.16 USD, not 110.28 USD. I only see the Sell rate in the Review order screen.
Plus, when setting up a Limit order, I can’t set a rate below the shown (mid-market) rate, so I can’t set up an order to sell 100 EUR at, for instance, 1.1020 USD. This is not ok and should be easily fixed.

2 Likes

Yup, I’m really pissed about that too - What You See is NOT what you get until you progress to the review order screen when you discover that you get significantly less exchange…
It’s the one thing that is really getting my goat at the moment. It didn’t use to be like that until the extra step was introduced by which time, the rate may have changed in a fast changing rate scenario.
:r: should be better than that!

4 Likes

I have an update. After updating the app today, the exchange screen shows the actual sell rate. So that’s solved. Well done!
However, the Limit order screen still shows the mid rate as the threshold, so you can only order a limit sell at a rate higher than the current mid rate - so significantly higher than the current sell rate. This means you might have to wait a lot for a limit order to execute. Not ok for day to day use.
E.g.:
Market sell: 1 EUR = 1.0949 USD
Limit sell: 1 EUR > 1.0961 USD
So I can’t set a sell limit order for 1 EUR = 1.0955, but I can use 1.0956

I feel like this can be easily fixed. Unless it’s by design, of course.
Revolut currency exchange benefits aren’t what they used to be, but they might still be better than competitors. I’d appreciate a little more transparency, though.

1 Like

I have the same issue as described in the above posts, when trying to use Limit Order feature, the price I need to set the target is much higher than the current Market Order price.
For example in my case, if the price for 1 EUR is 4.9291 RON, I cannot input in the Limit Order a price lower than 4.9372 RON.
This means that I cannot set a target to sell my EUR once 1 EUR will be valued at 4.9300 RON, as I could few months ago.

I contacted support and after raising the issue to the FX team they concluded that this is a desired change but, to be honest, I cannot understand what would be the reason behind this.
I also asked how can I set the new Limit Order price in order to make sure that the exchange will happen at a certain value (for example set 4.94xx to change at 4.9300) but the support person was not able to tell me how much do I need to add to my desired value in order to obtain it.

So, from my point of view, it was just a “it’s not a bug, it’s a feature” kind of result.
I emailed to feedback@revolut.com asking for more details about this but for the moment I got no replies.

1 Like

in developer terms, its usually called an undocumented software event :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@mitzu2250 Hello :wave: Welcome to the :r: community. :blush:

Thank you for pointing this out. We will escalate this to the appropriate team for improvement. :pray:

@Graham_Lees Thank you for helping out. :blush:

Veda | Community Team

6 posts were split to a new topic: How To Exchange Currency?

Hi Veda

I was wondering if there is a way of predicting the best time to exchange one currency to another when travelling O/S? I am going to Canada and Alaska in May and the rates are not favourable. How can I find out if the exchange rate is likely to increase before May?

Brian

1 Like

Hi @Brian60 and welcome
Accurately predicting exchange rates is no easy task - even for professionals! If it were that easy, we’d all be millionaires!
I use (this site) to monitor exchange rates and make my decisions based on additional commentaries. The rates you see there are generally the so called “headline” rate but you will not necessarily obtain that from :r: although quite often close to it less a few pips. When rates are volatile, the rate shown in apps such as the one listed may lag the true rate at any given time but you can often gauge the direction of movement.
If you prefer a mobile app, you can install “Easy Currency Converter” from the Play Store. This has a graph which shows the trend and a News feed to get further observations. You can select the currency pairs you are interested in at will in either.
I trust that helps.

3 Likes

There’s no reliable way.

What you can do is rely on analysts that track indexes like the DXY, rely on analysis by Bloomberg or Financial Times. But things don’t always work out like expected. It’s always going to be a bet.

This is what the FT wrote recently:

But what about the dollar?

Think of the best-performing asset of 2024 so far, and chances are, the dollar isn’t first to mind. (…)

But it has risen 2.3 per cent since the end of December, beating US stocks (up 1.7 per cent) and bonds (down 1.2 per cent). This wasn’t supposed to happen with forecasts pointing to a weaker dollar this year as the Federal Reserve’s highly anticipated interest rate cuts make the dollar less appealing.

Predicting currencies may feel like betting on the “outcome of a coin toss”, as former Fed chair Alan Greenspan put it. But ignore the forex markets, or get them badly wrong, and the effects can be painful. Just ask anyone who bought Japan’s Topix index last year using unhedged dollars.

3 Likes

Thanks Frank. It is what I thought but hoped was not right.

Brian

3 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Exchange to Unsupported Currency