Exchange rate markup - NEW RULES?

There was a change two months ago due to yours truly and this thread, I believe. But it also appears it’s been changed since at least once again.

The updated versions are a big step up over what was there originally although it still falls short of what should be there: (1) a complete list of “illiquid” and “major” currencies should be provided; (2) Revolut’s “interbank rate” is never defined anywhere nor can it be queried by the customer without executing a transaction; at the very least delayed rates should be made available to customers; (3) all this information should not be buried in the FAQ; rather, all the fees and markup levels should be listed on a separate page linked from the front page; (4) a history of changes in that document should be provided and there should be a way to subscribe to notifications about any future updates to it.

With regard to (1), a complete list was in fact provided to me in response to one of my posts on this board back in February. However, AUD was not mentioned at the time, and I can’t find this post now so perhaps it’s been sneakily deleted. Meanwhile, it seems the FAQ has been edited again and having just used Revolut in Australia, I am now only accidentally discovering that a markup on AUD was introduced and apparently applied to my trip. Way to go, Revolut. (Incidentally, classifying the Australian dollar as “illiquid” is somewhat baffling.)

What happened to me is thus a perfect illustration of what @expatier noted:

Revolut’s rates are generally decent most of the time but occasionally disappoint, so perhaps it’s deliberate obfuscation on their part to leave customers no recourse in case of any dispute as nothing is essentially being promised and it appears that, contractually, the rates can be pretty much arbitrary. Unless this is the underlying reason, it would be in Revolut’s best interest to finally address all of the above mentioned issues comprehensively.

3 Likes