European Banking Licence šŸ¦

Congrats & Kudos to the Revolut Team!!!

@anon33247966 , Is this the end of the ridiculous yearly limits? I canā€™t use Revolut until february due to those limits.

With the announcement that ā€œany funds you deposit will be protected up to ā‚¬100,000 under the European Deposit Insurance Scheme (EDIS)ā€, this statement implies the removal of the current ā‚¬33,000 annual activity limit.

However thatā€™s only my interpretation of the new information :slight_smile:

1 Like

Youā€™re currently not covered and you wonā€™t be until Revolut actually store the money themselves - right now you should treat Revolut as an e-money still. Its still in a ring-fenced account at Lloydā€™s. AFAIK.

4 Likes

What about swiss customers ? Will they have the same level of protection ?

As far as I know they should do as Swiss citizens have all the rights that a typical EU citizen does with freedom of movement, so itā€™d be a bit silly for them to move and suddenly have no deposit protection.

I believe that the deposit protection limits apply to the jurisdiction in which the deposit taker is based, which is the United Kingdom (or possibly later also Lithuania). Itā€™s not based on the postal address of the account holder.

And I believe this is false. I am pretty sure that with an European banking licence ALL citizens of the EU and the EEA are protected.

Deposit protection is not based on citizenship of the deposit maker, but on the location of the deposit taker. For example, an Afghan citizen who is a customer of a UK bank is protected, but a British citizen who is a customer of an Afghan bank is not protected.

4 Likes

but, after the accounts have been migrated to the ā€œbankā€, who pays if Revolut goes bankrupt?

For Revolutā€™s UK-based accounts, this would be the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.

2 Likes

Youā€™re wrong as they donā€™t have a banking licence here?

You would collect your money from ring-fenced accounts at Lloydā€™s or youā€™d be under the Lithuanian deposit protection scheme, assuming they trial it on you.

Currently you get no deposit protection under Revolut in the event they go under anyways, so itā€™s literally just the Lithuanian scheme if they trial you on it.

afaik currently our money is secured individually at Lloyds, and protected as for any Lloyds customer.

The jurisdiction is less clear to me after we get moved to Revolut Lithuania :eu: Bankā€¦ a branch of Revolut UK :uk: e-money?

If the money is deposited as a current account once Revolut has a bank licence then the deposit guarantee would fall under the licencing financial authority, in this case Lithuania.

If the liability for the individual country was overwhelming and unaffordable (Lithuaniaā€™s reserves may be strained in the event of a failure of a bank of Revolutā€™s size) then I would assume the ECB (European central bank) would step in, as a lender of last resort.

1 Like

AFAIK the European Central Bank donā€™t lend. They just stabilise the Euro.

1 Like

Iā€™m using the term loosely to illustrate that the ECB would intervene to underwrite this EU wide deposit guarantee, in the case of difficulty of an individual European regulatory authority.

1 Like

Iā€™m really amazed the Lithuanian authorities accepted this responsibility for no evident benefit.

Will be funny to see when many residents of Lithuania will switch to revolut and ditch local banks. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

So will our British IBAN starting with GBā€¦ be turned into Lithuanian IBANs LTā€¦ or can we keep the British ones?
Thanks!

2 Likes

I believe thatā€™s the reason why we were given personal virtual multicurrency IBANs now, this way things will look unchanged even if we get moved to current accounts in Lithuania.

1 Like