EUR BGN - The worst exchange rate I have ever seen

:r: should put a clear list with each supported currencies and their respective markups.
Writing things like major currencies, other currencies and currencies like in your official FAQs is just not serious, come on!

2 Likes

Thanks, Platin.

Then why it’s more than 1.6%?

Still waiting for @anon33247966

1 Like

Once again everything is clearly explained on :r: website :

Please be aware that we pull rates from our provider, and they are obligated to present us with updated rates whenever they are informed of a change from one of their suppliers. This means that the weekend rate may fluctuate and not be the same as the exchange rate we use from Friday

It seems that you missunderstand 2 things : the rate from Morningstar, and the Revolut spread.

In summary we have 3 rates :

• Interbank rate
  • +x%
  • Morningstar rate
  • +1.5%
  • Revolut rate

Why do you say 1.5%, when for BGN should be 1% (check Platin’s screenshot). 1.5% should be applied only for THB, RUB and UAH.
Also, please tell me where I can check the Morning Star rates for BGN, because I can only find this

nothing has been answered about putting the safe weekend exchanges on hold and wait until Monday to debit the real amount. like every other card does.

3 Likes

Platin’s screenshot is only about currency you can exchange and store.

If you want MorningStar rates you need to pay for the service :slight_smile:

Maybe Revolut can’t because : they are not a bank + they do not have the money.

1 Like

Maybe we should let @anon33247966 to say something about all this… :wink:

Regarding the BGN rates everything is clear.

Regarding holding weekends transactions I agree, an official answer from :r: will be more than interesting :slight_smile:

1 Like

My mistake, but my other comment still apply :slight_smile: the Morningstar rate isn’t the same as interbank rate

Mirron, things about the BGN rates on weekends are not clear to me, so I would like a clear explanation by a :r: representative on how that markup is generated.
Thank you for your input, but I would like to stop the discussion until someone from :r: clear things up.

1 Like

the weekend spread is mostly to save their backs if a currency goes to hell because of a political disaster in a given country or coalition.

the EUR had such nightmare scenario with Italy recently. If something similar happens to HU, BG or RO the impact would be a lot higher.

I can perfectly understand that this fear needs to be reflected on the exchange rates. what I fail to understand is why they debit the money immediately, turning this safe net into profit, instead of simply blocking funds until the markets are open again.

at least for me most of my card spending happens on weekends, so :r:'s card becomes useless

2 Likes

Same for me… most spendings are on weekends…

2 Likes

I spend with revolut on weekends no prob, becouse base currency = purchase currency (when I’m in my home country). No markups :slight_smile:

I hate you

I have proposed several times to :r: to hold the weekend markup and settle the payment Monday. the transaction is done in real time at Friday’s 23:59 exchange rate an the markup of 0,5-1,5% is put on hold until Monday when the transaction is beeing recalculated and markup settled.
i am not using the card during weekends for this reason.

4 Likes

did they ever respond?

it feels like they are doing this intentionally, for the profit, but that goes directly against their marketing promise.

if they can’t do it before getting the banking licence, they would have said so.

@anon33247966? @olga_revolut?

this weekend markup situation affects standard, premium and, business users.

they never answerred to this. it is probably as you said a business model or is their card supplier that charges this markup.

it is probably as you said a business model

This is HIGHLY unlikely.

Just do the math… first of all we are talking about BGN and let’s be honest this isn’t a major currency and the virtual issue you are talking about is only during the week end.

So let’s image there is half a millions LEV exchanged over the week end on :r:, the difference between the interbank rate of 1.95583 and a rate if 1.92 is… 4700€

Let’s be honest, the amount is ridiculous for a 2 millions customers ebank valued at 1.7 billions $

the functionality of debiting the funds immediately on weekends instead of simply putting a hold on them until monday doesn’t only afftect BGN. the exact percentage is, but the principle isn’t.

this % puts the exchange at a worst case scenario, which by definition most of the times doesn’t happen turning it into profit.

if this weekend profit isn’t part of the business model and revolut is true to their promise they shouldn’t have a problem speaking up and attempting to find a solution.

1 Like