ES IBAN Number for Uk Clients

Hi

I an trying to set up a bank transfer bill payment with Sanitas (Bupa in Spain) they can’t accept my GB IBAN number. It HAS TO BE an ES (Spanish) IBAN number?

How do I change my GB IBAN to an ES IBAN?

What are the implications? I load my account from a UK £ account.

Thanks

G

1 Like

SEPA IBANs have to be accepted universally within the SEPA area.
What you need to do is to complain about them if they do not accept a valid SEPA IBAN, regardless from which SEPA country.
There’s no reason for country specific IBANs anymore.

Search for “IBAN discrimination” and you’ll find all about it.

1 Like

Are you paying money or receiving money?

In either case, this is a breach of Article 9 of Regulation (EU) No 260/2012, which states:

1. A payer making a credit transfer to a payee holding a payment account located within the Union shall not specify the Member State in which that payment account is to be located, provided that the payment account is reachable in accordance with Article 3.

2. A payee accepting a credit transfer or using a direct debit to collect funds from a payer holding a payment account located within the Union shall not specify the Member State in which that payment account is to be located, provided that the payment account is reachable in accordance with Article 3.

1. Un ordenante que efectúe transferencias a un beneficiario titular de una cuenta de pago radicada en la Unión no especificará el Estado miembro en el que está radicada esa cuenta de pago, siempre que la cuenta de pago sea accesible según lo establecido en el artículo 3.

2. Todo beneficiario que acepte una transferencia o utilice un adeudo domiciliado para cobrar fondos de un ordenante titular de una cuenta de pago radicada en la Unión no especificará en qué Estado miembro está radicada dicha cuenta de pago, siempre que la cuenta de pago sea accesible según lo establecido en el artículo 3.

Thanks for your replies! That is interesting to know. I will go back to them and see what they say to the EU Regulation.

Keep us posted! We have a similar issue of my partner wanting to wire from BBK Account in Spain to Revolut and BBK can not accept a IBAN account outside of Spain. Calling the bank tomorrow

Well that have accepted that they can receive a bank transfer now from my UK Revolut IBAN account number but they can not do a monthly standing order. They say they need a 20 digit code to fill in their forms!?

Computer say NO! wins again!!

So I have to pay the whole years fee in one go, which in the long run may be easier incase I forget to charge my revolut account in time one month! They are also happy to take a card payment. So I am going to do that as it will be easier and less likely to go wrong than a bank transfer!

Good luck with yours!