Email about Revolut Visa

I got a confirmation support message a few days ago with a tracking number for my card :slight_smile:

How long it took for you to get confirmation message from the day you filled form for Visa card.

How do you know when you’ll recieve yours?

Got it yesterday, need to pick it up from the post office but it has arrived :slight_smile:

not a computer wizz so cover details with card. can only put up one image as new user.

As you see not much there.

6 Likes

not a computer wizz so cover details with card. can only put up one image as new user.
DSCF1127

6 Likes

I really like how you covered up the details!

4 Likes

I actually thought it was digital at first. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Old school protection gives people enough to see what the card looks like.Without exposing myself to fraud.

2 Likes

Although you could blow on the picture & see if it removes the bits of card.

1 Like

@AndreasK

An idea to add Vpay support on thiscard?

?

This is how a Visa card with VPay looks.

To support payments at more places(in the Netherlands even almost all stores)

And will the cards become full debit?

Hey,

I would also like to participate in the Revolut Visa Beta program if it is possible :slight_smile:

Thanks

I’m not too familiar with VPay, but I had the idea it was a “smaller, cheaper brother for VISA” (yeah, might not be right) that according to wikipedia…

V Pay is designed as a specifically European product, and is not issued or accepted outside European countries
(source)

and does not allow to pay in POS’ without chip support :roll_eyes:

That means:

• Only accepted in the EU
  • Only accepted in chip-enabled terminals (which sadly are still not absolutely everywhere)

Doesn’t this make the :r: experience worse (and goes against its “global card” nature)? :confounded:

4 Likes

V-Pay is essentially a Maestro-equivalent network.

If :r: issues a Visa+V-Pay card, that’d be great, but if it’s just V-Pay, as @Juliopp said, that definitely is a step back.

4 Likes

That’s true. But payments using magnetic card swipes are really rare in Europe. It mostly is chip+pin and contactless. The only places where I’ve seen actual use of magnetic stripe payments is in fuel cards (gas stations) and to enter bank branches.

That V Pay only works within Europe (is wider than the EU) does not mean the Visa scheme is limited to this geographical area. Shifting towards a co-branded card (Visa + V Pay) will make this a card for local and global use! Now I only use my Revolut card outside Europe or on the internet. Most money I still spend locally in stores for things like groceries, meals, going out, …

I actual have V Pay card I use quite often because I know it will be accepted in stores. It only works chip+pin and contactless. The magnetic stripe doesn’t contain any card information and is only to open bank branches doors if the ATM is inside. It only has a ‘short’ card number on it and can only be used for ATM and POS (chip and contactless), e-commerce is not possible. But this is apparently a choice by the bank and not a consequence of the V Pay scheme.

vpay_front

vpay_back

Visa has a solution for this and it’s called Visa Simply One. mycard2go was the first one to implement this according to Wirecard.

2 Likes

V-Pay is a product from Visa Europe, which is an independent subsidiary of Visa Inc. V-pay was developed as a debit product for co-badging, to compete with Mastercard’s Maestro. Acceptance of V-Pay is limited to European countries while Maestro isn’t. A similar worldwide brand from Visa Inc. would be Visa electron.

Visa Europe was marketing V-Pay quite aggressively in recent years. Lots of banks switched from Maestro or offer V-Pay cards in addition. Like most national debit card systems, it’s chip + PIN only, and contactless without PIN of course.

Like these combined co-badged national cards with Maestro or V-Pay, a card‘s chip can also hold other combinations of applications like Mastercard Credit + Maestro (Fidorbank, Germany) or this Visa Debit Prepaid + V-Pay from Wirecard. If I remember correctly, there was also a Visa simply one in Poland? Memories are hazy.

According to a bank guy I talked to a while ago, these combined cards can be less reliable in certain situations. N26 for example decided not to issue a combined card but an additional Maestro card because of reliability issues. (Acceptance of Maestro is slightly higher in some areas of Germany, so they felt an obligation to also offer a Maestro card.)

Contactless with multicards is still difficult from a user experience perspective, though. How does one select the payment application with a contactless card? There are different approaches, but they all make a contactless payment less convenient. What’s the point if one has to do more than just tap? As far as I am aware, all multicards only support one option right now. But banks announced cards that will support several contactless payment applications. I am curious how they solved this. A preselction by the bank or the merchant? Double tap? We‘ll see.

1 Like

As the card support both Visa and V pay it should have a better coverage I think

In NL only Maestro and V pay are common used
A mastercard/Visa is a rare thing to use, however some stores started to accept it

1 Like

I can vouch for that, even during a training in Amsterdam I was confronted with a store owner saying that they did only support Maestro and V Pay. And yes, Amsterdam is an international city. Dutch debit cards are usually Maestro and some V Pay.

The situation is worse in Belgium. Many store owners that have an terminal by Worldline only support Bancontact because Worldline has a stake in the Belgian national debit scheme Bancontact and they charge high fees for competing schemes. Other processors such as Ingenco and CCV only actively market the more open Maestro and V Pay brands and until recently where not able to support Bancontact. All Belgian debit cards are co-branded with Bancontact and Maestro.

Situation is comparable in Germany. But they tend to have a combination of co-branded Girocard + Maestro or V Pay debit cards with some merchants processing Girocard and some Maestro and V Pay.

For Luxembourg acceptance of both Maestro and V Pay is common. All Luxembourgish debit cards are V Pay. I noticed that Mastercard and Visa have a better acceptance ratio here. Only one store I visit very regularly doesn’t support Mastercard/Visa.

I hope this clarifies the situation I have with spending using my Revolut card. I must admit, outside the above countries I tend to use my Revolut card first. But I’m spending more than 95% of my money in the countries above and therefore I believe Revolut could increase it’s revenue from these countries by co-branding. I know I could potentially first try my Revolut card and than my other cards, but let’s be honest, it’s a hassle and people start to think your the kind of person that maxes out all of their accounts. :slightly_frowning_face:

5 Likes

I think we are missing the point here.

• Revolut makes most of it’s money on commission from merchants when we use the cards
  • Maestro and V-Pay commissions are much lower than MasterCard/VISA

Therefore I would not expect free Maestro or free V-Pay.
From my perspective offering Maestro or V-Pay cards will have negative consequences for the company, hugely reducing their revenues. Offering VISA in addition to MasterCard keeps the commissions on the same level so it should be more or less neutral - that is why they do it.

4 Likes

Hi Andreas! I consider myself a loyal revolut user. Already recommended to several friends this card. Can you send me the form to me so I can also apply? Thanks in advance!