Duplicate physical card

As Revolut is offering free cards to anyone, I think existing customers should be able to get a duplicate physical card for free, for use be their partners. Especially since we have already paid for the first card. Does anyone agree? And more importantly, has anyone managed to obtain a duplicate card for free yet?

That might be true. But printing and activating the cards is not free and you have to take that into consideration too.

If you have a premium account you get two free physical cards and it’s free to create virtual cards. For me that was the single reason for me to upgrade.

Including free shipping.

Premium does offer those things yes, but at ÂŁ6.99 per month Revolut is making a premium itself, as well as a fee on every credit card transaction you make. Printing, activating and mailing a single card would not cost over ÂŁ80 per annum, IMHO!

You should also know that offering exchange rates at interbank rate are not free. I am not sure how it works but i think that Revolut might loose money on this front. As the bank they buy their currency from also needs to make money.

A business has absolutely no reason to give you anything for free. Don’t be so tight, pay the fee.

I’d rather have a financially stable Revolut that didn’t make impulsive freebie decisions. At least offering a free first card draws in new customers.

“For use by their partners “

This break the T&C of any bank or financial institution as long as is not a joint account/ spare care for another person for which you sign and agree to give access to your account.
And they will receive their own cards (with their names).

In any way, using a card which is not under your name is illegal. They can just open an Revolut account. Problem solved :slight_smile:

Two points to consider: first every bank, including Revolut, uses the money in its customers’ accounts to make money for itself - by investing etc.; it is not just sitting there doing nothing until the customer wants to draw on it. Secondly, my question relates to the existing customer sharing a joint bank account with their partner. So an additional card on the same account, drawing on exactly the same funds as the original card is not against any T&C as far as I know. Each individual will be responsible for only enabling access to his/her joint account holder.

Are you sure about that? Revolut money is ring-fenced, as :r: is not a bank but a financial entity.

I just assued, so not 100% sure Maybe someone else, or Revolut, can enlighten us?

A spare card is an entirely different thing than a joint account card in terms of legal things.

No one is allowed to use the card except it’s owner. Cards are not transmissible. So even if existent users will get a spare card on their name, transferring the card in use of another person breaks T&C.*

I understand you ask for a joint account. There is a topic about this and as I know they’re working on it.

*i know. This is the theory. It happened for me coupe of times to book airline tickets with other cards :grimacing: but shouldn’t be something regular.

http://revolutapp.tumblr.com/post/154551510732/introducing-spare-revolut-cards

Alternatively, you could give your spare Revolut card to a relative; you would effectively have a joint account. You could top-up an equal amount into the account and it the cards to split the cost of your living or holiday expenses.

If you gave your spare card to a relative, you could also set them a monthly spending limit as pocket money. Just give them a card, set a limit and that’s it - you’ve set up an automatic monthly allowance.

Note: Please remember, the name on your spare card will be in the name of the account holder.

In the faq they clearly state customers money is in a segregated account that they do not have access too.

Welcome to the world. NO company does that…

Spotify: offers for new comers, old ones not
Netflix: same
Banks: free services as promo on Black Friday for new comers
Mobile Networks: same
etc

I undertsand your idealistic view, but let’s be realistic :smiley:

Thanks Spoon. Clarity at last! But you dont say whether the spare Revolut card is issued free of charge and delivery.

Just answered my own question - they are still charging ÂŁ5 fee for spare card.

Hey guys. We haven’t forgotten our existing users and early adopters. We couldn’t have made it without you. However, this offer is a limited one, celebrating 1.5 M users.

We promise, more exciting things are coming soon :slightly_smiling_face: Stick with us!

p.s. I’m sure you have made this money back in saving within a week using your Revolut card :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah. True. 6€ is not a big deal for a new card;
The card is free anyway just the postage it costs 6€. Which is fair.

But we’re waiting of course for new things :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That is not possible without a banking license. For now, as an e-money regulated company, they can’t access customer’s funds.

OK, thanks for clarification Frank.

1 Like