Double charged

Hi,

I got double charged for the same item on Revolut.
My account reduced accordingly. On the statement nothing shows and on the transaction both are pending.
Do you have any idea why this happened?

Thanks
BR

Hey Sting. Sounds like a mistake by the merchant where you used your card. I suspect that one of the transactions will be reverted soon (take take up to 7-10 days). If both are marked as completed at that time, then contact support and start the chargeback process.

Hi there.

The transaction is pending at the moment which means that the merchant has not either collected the funds nor declined the transaction.

There are two possible scenarios now: either they will realise the error and decline it, or they will not realise the error and will settle the transaction.

When that happens, you will be able to see that the transaction no longer appears in grey in your transaction history on the app. Then you can just let us know and we will be able to raise a chargeback on your behalf to recoup the funds.

1 Like

Hello Andreas,

seems i have a similar problem.

on 23.04 i purchased airline luggage and seats. and was charged accordingly 150 on two transacitons 100 and 50USD. flight was the same day.

today, 30.04 i received a message that my account is charged 100 USD (from the airline) and is on minus. after opening revolut i see that backdated the charge of the 23.04 was 150 and 100 (instead of 100 and 50 as was on the 23.04). called the airline, they say the only charged 150 (which is what i also received as a message from revolut on the date of purchase).

so i am checking with you, is this a pending transaction (dont see a reason why) or if not, what is it?

BR,
Vladimir

Hey, you should contact the airline and have them sort it out.

i did already. they say contact the card company they charged only once the correct amount. sent me also their receipt

Your best bet is to contact support or hope @anon33247966 comes by :slight_smile:

Btw, i contacted support and they explained that the 100 is in a preauthorized and should be “released” soon. dont see the logic but i guess thats how it works with revolut

https://www.revolut.com/dk/help/transactions/card-payments/why-is-my-card-payment-still-pending

The thing is that unlike your normal bank Revolut shows these pre authorizations.

i thought so initially. thanks for the info. hope no interest is charged on negative Revolut balances

Hi there. We have to wait as the transactions is still pending. If the transaction goes through we will raise a chargeback.

This is not specific to Revolut at all. This is how payment network providers (Mastercard and Visa) designed their system and how a merchant handles pre-authorizations. Once an authorization goes thru, a merchant has two options: claim it or not. In your case, the merchant did not claim the initial amount but charged you a second time. Eventually, there is no difference. But funds are blocked for a while.

With old school credit cards, it’s exactly the same. You just don’t notice it because you don’t get a real time transaction history.

2 Likes

Hi ,
Similarly this happened me yesterday and I was wondered what should I do ? I would really appreciate your reply .
Kindest regards ,
Maria

Hi
I have been charged twice for one transaction. I made the transaction on 13th of feb and it was marked as completed which was ok but yesterday the 15th of feb the same transaction came out of my account and was also marked as completed. The 2 locations and value of the transactions are the exact same but I wasn’t there yesterday. Just wondering what I should do.

Thanks

A double transaction was happened to my account as well this weekend.
I found very less probably that merchant is the cause, as duplicated transactions were registered two times this week for different merchant.

Hello , I have the same problem i have charged twice for 2 operations and now my account went below 0 wich normally not permited in Revolut , I can not start a chat because its informe me that iam Offline . Could you plz help with this issue
Thanks in advance

Hi, I hve the same issue, was charged twice several times, one of the 2nd time charges are still pending but the oldest one is more than 15 days. Who to contact in that case to fix it?

In-app chat support.

Hello

My name is Cristina and I am curently using a revolut debit card. On the 18th of february I made 2 payments, the only ones that day, which are still showing as pending. The same amounts were debited again from my account on the 23rd of february, situation which led to my balance falling bellow 0.

The transactions on the 23rd are not showing as pending so they went through.

Could you please solve this problem by refunding the 2 payments that show as pending?

Thank you.

I have the following scenario:

My balance is 110€ and I perform a transaction on 21th of 100€

• 100€ transaction pending since Feb, 21th.
  • My balance becomes 10€, no problem.
  • On 25th, the transation is confirmed (it is stated “postponed transaction from 21th), 100€ are “charged”
  • My balance becomes -90€ !!!

The transaction of 21th now appears “on hold”, I assume it will be canceled in 7-10 days.

What does I happen if I top up of 90€ now, my balance is going to be 0€ ? Can I make a purchase in this case, it should be because I just topped up of 90€….