Donations to diem25.org fail strangely. Blocked?

I just tried sending a donation to diem25.org. The transaction is shown twice in the history: as “declined” (by whom?) AND separately as “pending”, both with the same time.

Interestingly, this is the 3rd time that this happens. Previously it was in 2019. Always to diem25.org.

It’s particularly interesting because in 2019 donations to diem25.org were to help a legal fund for the defence of Julian Assange, which (like with WikiLeaks) famously caused some financial institutions to stop related payments.

I just went through the pain of the in-app chat to try to understand what is going on. The agent kept repeating that yes, there are 2 transactions, and one is declined and the other is pending, and that they have no idea why and that I will have to wait for the blocked money to be released in 1 week. Not useful.

So now I am trying here. What is going on? Is this a bug? Is this a purposeful block?

1 Like

I assume this is a SEPA bank transfer? And I assume both transactions went to the same account? Do you understand who or what declined the transaction? Is it the receiving bank that says: no, we won’t receive this money? Or is it revolut that says: no, we won’t send money to that account/bank/country?

Then regarding the pending transaction: to me, that sounds like everything is fine for the time being. The transaction is on its way, no? Or is it temporarily on hold? If so: who or what is holding it and why?

I assume you asked similar questions to the agent but in order to understand what’s going on, it would help if you could answer as many of them as you can for us here.

Sorry for the late answer, somehow I missed this message.

FWIW, since I started this thread I got a confirmation from diem25 that my 3 donations reached them. So I would consider these “failures” to be just terrible UI interface - both for me and for the agent/s that tried helping me.

I assume this is a SEPA bank transfer?

No, this was payments made with Revolut cards.

Do you understand who or what declined the transaction? Is it the receiving bank that says: no, we won’t receive this money? Or is it revolut that says: no, we won’t send money to that account/bank/country?

No idea. For completeness, I’m attaching a screenshot of the little that Revolut showed.

Note the times of the transactions/reverts/declines. Additionally, for each accepted/waiting transaction, there is a reverted transaction for the same quantity. A mess.

1 Like

Yes, what a mess. But if those were payments with the Revolut card, it means that it was either Visa or Revolut that declined the transaction. So one of them should be able to clarify why.

But then again you say they went through, so I guess they were not declined but pending. And in that case, I’d agree with you that it was an error in the Revolut UI.

I recently noticed that I more often than earlier have to confirm card payments in the Revolut app. Is it possible that you missed those confirmations? But then again it wouldn’t have gone through. Maybe the agent released them when you chatted?

Whatever. What a mess, as you said.