Dedicated roadmap / to-do tracking

I know this has been suggested several times over the past year, but I’d really love to see a dedicated roadmap, with features coming down the pipe.

IMO, Monzo do this brilliantly with a Trello board -> https://trello.com/b/9tcaMB4w/monzo-transparent-product-roadmap

I’m sure you have something internally? Make it public!

It gives users a sense of ownership over things they may have suggested and/or are especially interested in and, importantly, an ETA for when to look for features landing. It also means we don’t have to keep badgering support for updates :+1:

Current / future projects
Xero feeds
Xero feeds

I completely agree on this idea. Let us know what and when we can expect it.

100% agreed! A roadmap has to be public (or at least the committed part of it)
@AndreasK It is crucial for (us) clients to know when a certain feature will be released. Furthermore it demonstrates transparency, which should be in the nature of a modern and client focused start-up-like-company. So I urge you to do this!!

Great idea! Let’s have this please!

As a current Monzo user, I’d also love to see a road map. This is something Monzo have got absolutely right - they really care about the end user experience, and it shows.

Revolut may have more features but Monzo have nailed customer service beyond any service I’ve ever interacted with. Their customer communication is simply outstanding.

^ This.

Revolut have added a bunch of support staff, but my interactions with agents have left a lot to be desired. Oftentimes, I’ve had to explain things multiple times for them to understand what I mean, and responses are often given in somewhat broken English.

Moreover, it takes ages to resolve anything. Emails to the business address can take literally a week or more to get a response. Simple stuff like validating income can easily span multiple days.

To be fair, everything I’ve asked has been resolved in the end, but the response times are generally quite poor. And the Ideas board is just a joke - the best we get is ‘it’s coming soon’ or ‘it’s not yet on our radar’, with very vague timelines.

Revolut is an excellent product overall, but definitely feels ‘beta’ in too many places, with staff that seem to often know even less than customers.

Emulating Monzo’s roadmap would be a start; emulating their support would be even better!

The lack of capacity in relation to CS will be addressed over time.

The ideas board is what it says on the tin: A forum board for ideas. It has never purported to be a public roadmap for :r:'s feature development.

Product user experience has nothing to do with the availability of a public roadmap.

I get the metrics.

But there are cheap/simple fixes that would help in the interim.

A Trello board with features added to corresponding short -> long-term buckets would be a start, and would open a direct dialogue between users and the tech team implementing them.

One guy is all it’d take to run that. I know because I’ve used Trello extensively in big and small teams. It’s trivial.

Support – simple: hire better people. There’s no reason it should take 3-4 attempts before a simple request is understood, and there’s zero excuse for writing in broken English. Hire locale-specific support with native language fluency.

I’d expect support times to be a bit haywire to start with, but tempering user expectations with features like a roadmap would lower volume and make everyone happier.

Releasing a public roadmap is a red herring, because it ignores the business reality of having to negotiate with partners and national regulators and central banks.

Fixing it to a timeline would allow astroturfers to galvanise around it and then complain.

-If it’s too optimistic (and falls back due to any reason, even if a third-party is responsible for the delay): ‘They were not transparent and failed on an operational level’, ‘They were dishonest’, …
-If it’s too far : ‘They should’ve been more accurate.’ (and then lead to the mistake of being too optimistic, and the cycle continues).

Right, but there are better ways to do it.

• Have a public voting system.
  • Every idea gets a thumbs up/down from the team, so ideas don’t just remain ‘nice to haves’, but are given a definitive yay/nay from Revolut.
  • Put a Trello roadmap together, with “working on it now”, “next”, “medium term”, “maybe later” buckets, so we get a bit of visibility behind the scenes.

Discourse (the forum platform that :r:, Starling and Monzo uses) doesn’t have Reddit-like functionality.

The commercial world is not like academia where every decision is a binary yes–no.

For example, I advocated for the introduction of a black card, which was then introduced as a :r: Premium card. I suggested a metal card offering, which was initially not on the roadmap due to costs issues, but is now coming soon.

Therefore it is not easy to give a fixed answer, and decisionmaking may change over time/in response to new situations or trends.

That’s an edge case scenario. There are plenty of roadmaps in the wild. If something takes longer, just move it from “immediate” to “medium-term” and write a quick note explaining why. Simple.

90% of the time, Revolut will have some idea if a feature will see the light of day. It’s not completely hit and miss. Presumably they will have internal roadmaps and entire dev teams working on something right now. Why not make that info public?

This is nothing new. It’s the raisin d’etre for tools like Trello. A great many companies (including Monzo) are using it very successfully. I doubt Revolut would be an outlier in this regard.

Providing actionable business intelligence for free, that competitors can take advantage of.

The core business of :r: is banking, accelerated and augmented by technology. It isn’t like a social networking product or an ICO where you need a roadmap with a clear and mapped timeline.

Then change it, or augment with something that does?

No-one’s suggesting it’s like academia. I’m talking from practical experience of managing large development teams.

Tools like Trello were built specifically for this scenario.

At the current moment, Discourse doesn’t appear to offer such a functionality to allow sorting of threads through ‘upvotes’/likes.

Can :r: change it? I’m not so sure. But migrating to a platform that is not as good as Discourse, just for the sake of upvoting functionality, doesn’t seem like a good trade-off to me.

Rather than looking at words (I see roadmaps as falling under the PR/marketing function), it is better to look at action and product execution.

Talk is cheap.

The value of an idea is its application. I’d be highly surprised if Revolut had figured out some secret feature no-one has thought of, to the point where disclosing it puts them at a competitive disadvantage.

The point of a roadmap is actually the opposite problem - Revolut have a habit of announcing features too early, and leave users guessing when they’re coming down the pipe. A roadmap simply adds a bit more colour to vague blog posts, and would lessen support load.

It’s about a matter of emphasis and priority.

Banking is relatively simple and boring. There are a core set of features that every single fintech bank will have in the long-term.

That doesn’t mean that emphasis is unimportant.

:r: has historically focussed significantly on their currency account & exchange function, for example.

Giving competitors insight into what they’re developing can allow them to pre-empt by releasing early.

Monzo said they were going to be a ‘marketplace bank’ as early as their pre-paid launch in 2016, yet they’re behind Starling (which launched their ‘marketplace’ in Q4 2017) and have only produced a very bare-bones (‘beta’, in your words) offering.

There’s room for both.

Setting expectations and executing against them are not mutually exclusive.

Not having a roadmap (which can create false expectations) (‘Why haven’t you released xyz! It’s been in the ‘near-term bucket’ for v!’) gives development teams greater flexibility.