SWITZERLAND - Top-up -- with TW, and directly to a pooled Revolut account

The initial thread of Most cost-efficient top-up methods for Switzerland became unmanageable (over 400 posts) and I cannot edit the summary anymore, therefore I decided to provide an updated summary for Swiss-based Revolut users.

All information as of May 2018 - please use with caution (as things/charges can change any time) and on your own responsibility.

Swiss-issued Debit or Credit cards are not a free option any more for Revolut top-ups
Have a look on the following alternative methods:

1. through TransferWise local, Swiss IBAN + card (free for everybody) :grinning::star_struck::smile:

• You will need to setup an account with Transferwise, apply for the Debit Card, change the card’s limits, and use the card to top-up Revolut.
  • All the steps for the newcommers:
  • Now you are ready to:
    • :five: Make a local transfer to the TransferWise account in CHF
    • :six: Use the Borderless Debit Card to top-up Revolut for free
  • Caution: Revolut exchange rates are better than TW (especially on weekdays), so it is usually not worth using the TW card directly.

2. CurrencyFair local, Swiss IBAN (3 CHF/transfer) :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

• Local Swiss transfer --> your own CurrencyFair account
  • CurrencyFair --> Revolut Swiss IBAN (3 CHF) (@fudder)

3. SWIFT bank transfer to the shared Revolut account in CHF (cost depends on your bank) :neutral_face:

• UBS: choose the BEN option, make sure it is a SWIFT transfer in CHF --> free (@Szak1)
  • PostFinance --> total cost depending on the amount, 2 CHF for the transfer, the rest is taken from the amount being send:
    • up to 100 CHF (to be confirmed) --> total cost: 2 CHF
    • 101-10000 CHF --> total cost: 8-10 CHF
    • 10001 and more --> 12 CHF or more (25 CHF charges has been reported by some users)
  • Credit Suisse (small amounts ~10CHF transferred for free, most probably higher amount will cause a significant fee)
  • other banks --> ?
    While testing these methods be careful: charges on the sender bank side might appear later than expected as some banks show these costs on the statements only at the end of month / end of year
25 Likes

Thank you for the update, @Karol

One minor niggle:

True, but only on weekdays.

1 Like

Thank you, updated to be precise.
My (limited) experience though shows that also on weekends :slight_smile:
But maybe it depends on the currency.

1 Like

It does indeed depend on the currencies as well. I think the way you phrased it is perfect now. :slight_smile:

Hi all
need a clarification on point 4:
got my TW account and borderless acc open but was unable to activate the CHF currency ie CHF iban in order to transfer cash from my swiss acc to TW swiss iban. can someone explain how to activate the CHF acc on TW please or do i miss something?cheers

When logged in, you should click on Balances → Activate a currency

Borderless acc already set up.
how come there are no specific CHF Iban details like the EUR one?

Screenshot_20180410-233746|281x500

Unfortunately your image has failed to upload.

@bearbull

you’ll be given an CHF-IBAN for making the transfer when choosing the topup-way “transfer” (it works with a reference-number)… i do believe there’s no PERSONAL CHF-IBAN available…

Thank you @Karol excellent job here! :slight_smile:

Much appreciated!

1 Like

I am currently testing out the Transferwise option (I already had an account so was sort of easy to set up). I have the CHF account set up and now had to chat with the Transferwise team how to obtain the debit card and whether it would really work for sending money to a CHF account with a GB… Iban with the bank sitting in the UK.

Will update with news on how that goes. So far I know NO free way of charging Revolut. It is a crying shame!!

I have tried it - it works.
You can apply for the card using the link here
It arrived afer a week. As the card is issued in Spain, it is free to top-up Revolut with it.

If you want the worst cost-efficent top-up methods try this:
10CHF from Cornerbank VISA, Revolut add 0.18CHF fee (OK) and this is the iCorner VISA log:
2018-04-17%2013_17_18-Corn%C3%A8rcard%20-%20onlineaccess
:joy: 15CHF of Commission.

Many here are just too retractable on Revolut. For a slightly better convert you are ready to pay high commissions. :roll_eyes:
It is therefore cheaper for the most Swiss, directly to use the TFW card. :+1:
TFW advantage: Unmanned petrol stations :heart_eyes: , Swiss IBAN, better weekend rates.

I often use TFW, and more often. I upload Revolut with TFW, convert to EUR and with SEPA back to TFW , without fees.
So you have the best conver, and also a backup card if the account is blocked.

At the moment I use TFW 70% and Revolut still 30%
But who knows…
LG

2 Likes

@far_superior: +10

I am currently using Revolut most of the time over the TW card. But as time passes, and as we are still waiting for Swiss IBAN, the incentive to swap usage of the cards is getting big and bigger.

1 Like

I promise Swiss IBANs are just around the corner :pray:

13 Likes

What does “just around the corner” means in days, weeks, months … ? We are waiting for the Swiss IBAN for quite some time … I really like Revolut, but there are other solutions …

1 Like

Hello I’m fresh arrived on revolut.
I just tried to send €50 from my BCV Swiss account via Sepa. I recieved 42.31 GBP then transfer it in euro = 48.67 euros
If I’m referring to the best today rate that is 0.87, I miss, €1.40 on this €50 transfer.
Is it the commission ?
If I compare with HSBC that is one of the worst one, the commission is 1.21 euros for the same amount of money
Sorry I’m not too much in the money stuff but where is their problem ?

Hi @PhilCoraz

Why did you send EURO to GBP and not EURO to EURO?

First thing, never send EUR to the GBP account! Money will be exchanged at a bad rate by the intermediary bank. Always use bank details in the currency in which you are making the transfer.