Charged twice for a unsuccessful airplane ticket payment

Me too, £130 missing for 3 days now…

It’s now more than the 72 hours here for at least one of the money-blocking items and still no sign that it would be cleared (and the money unblocked). How much longer do I have to wait for this?! This is not like a new feature which is announced and then never released, it’s my money which should be at my disposal!

Have you contacted support about that?

I did, just standard copy-paste answers saying there was problem and I should be patient…

But they’re sorry… which makes it so much better for me :unamused:

1 Like

It’s easy to play with other people’s money …!

Revolut scanned the money twice, and did not make a payment

1 Like

My money has been ‘missing’ since Saturday - not good, it was supposed to be returned within 72hours !!!

I left for more than 72h and I did not get the money

I left for more than 72h and I did not get the money

Monday 24
Tuesday 24
Wednesday 24

I guess. No :bank: works in weekends.

72 hours from payment

72 hours my a**! It’s only been 120!!
Getting serious

I received my money back last Thursday tnks god.

However, today I tried to do another online payment and happened the same thing again with the difference that they blocked my card and the money wasnt charged.

Now I’m afraid that if I try to unfreeze the card they charge the amount twice. Any help?

Hello, you can move all your money on Vaults then left only 267€ in your € account :slight_smile:

Since Vault money can’t be used for payments, the second one will fail :slight_smile:

@mirron no because now I dont wanna proceed with the payments at all. I already use another card from another bank to pay the tickets.

I don’t understand… you tried to do a payment on another website and at the same time Gotogate tried to make another transaction wich was declined?

This.

It’s not just the customer service, it’s the foundation of it all that is the opposite of robust and reliable … it really is a house of cards.

Revolut is best understood as “an interface to multiple points of failure”. Here’s why it’s unwise to use Revolut for any meaningful payments (especially abroad).

There is an acquirer (Lloyds is one of them), providing the bank accounts backing the Revolut virtual accounts, and also a payment processor. Both are 3rd parties needed by Revolut. When you make a purchase using your physical/virtual/disposable Revolut card, it first gets authorised (ouch!) which means a hold is put on the amount. If for any reason the merchant or merchant’s payment processor or Revolut’s payment processor declines the transaction, then your funds are held by the acquirer, i.e. are “pending”, for 7-10 days by default.

Effectively, your funds are held hostage for that amount of time. You then try to resolve this using Revolut’s support:

• Revolut will tell you it’s pending and it will be credited back in 7-10 days, and that you need to wait
  • Revolut will say this is needed because the merchant may claim the transaction within that period of time (this is false when there is written proof from the payment processor/merchant that the payment was already refused)
  • Revolut will blame one of the following: the merchant, the merchant’s payment processor, or their own payment processor
  • Revolut will claim the process is automatic and there is nothing they can do, you need to wait <<< this is actually false (*)
  • Sometimes Revolut has consistent problems with processing payments for several days, because Revolut’s payment processor/acquirer has issues (according to Revolut), and all payments are being declined, and all funds are being taken hostage for 7-10 days (some are recredited earlier than that, depending where your transaction is the queue, some were lucky to get it back after a few hours, but most times it’s a good number of days days especially for foreign transactions)
  • Being a Premium member has no influence at all.

So now, IF you have more money available, you have two choices: retry the transaction (don’t do this!!) and give Revolut more money to hold hostage, or pay via your high street bank’s debit/credit card (may or may not incur fees depending on the card, but has the reassurance that it either goes through or is declined without your funds being held hostage).

If you were unwise/unlucky to do this for a large transaction that leaves you penniless for 7-10 days, then you’re screwed. If you’re abroad, it gets super fun.

(*) Revolut will claim there’s nothing they can do, that’s it’s all automatic etc. In fact, you could try to obtain the 6-digit authorisation code from the merchant or merchant’s payment processor, and ask Revolut to revert the transaction manually without waiting 7-10 days. All of a sudden, that becomes possible. If the transaction never reached the merchant/merchant’s payment processor (it was declined by Revolut’s payment processor) they will not even have this 6-digit number. In all cases, Revolut does in fact have the means to check and manually revert a transaction, by asking either its payment processor and/or acquirer to revert it … but it’s too much of a hassle and they simply refuse by saying “it’s automatic, you need to wait” or that they can’t do it because the merchant may claim the transaction … despite you showing them written roof from the merchant saying the payment was refused by the bank/payment processor.

I had large amounts held hostage and wasted an enormous amount of time on Revolut’s chat. That “24/7 exclusive support” for Premium members is a complete lie. Sometimes they don’t answer for 12-24 hours (Premium!), and when they reply it often gets infuriatingly frustrating very quickly (several hours between replies, they copy paste replies that have little to nothing to do with the issue at hand, or quote irrelevant regulations, and if you push the matter enough they sometimes start passing judgement … if you mention the Ombudsman, you’ll get an instant reply that no complaint is taken into account without a letter from Revolut first).

I stopped using Revolut for all meaningful transactions, especially abroad, and I certainly regret paying the Premium membership.

It is anything but reliable, trustworthy or helpful when there are issues. Pray that you don’t need customer service.

p.s. You may want to get a reliable credit card that can be used anywhere abroad/online with 0% fees (Halifax, Post Office, Virgin, etc – the mastercard fx rate is passed directly to you at zero cost, that’s what Revolut does too, no advantage there for Revolut). Revolut recently lost many high spending users, myself included.

8 Likes

Thanks a lot for your comprehensive reply! It actually explains a lot.

I think you need to check your story here.

First, t’s totally normal that every transactions made with :r: need to be authorized : this is officially a prepaid card and it’s clearly explained.

Second, in case of payment processing issue ( from :r:, from VISA, from MasterCard…) : NO your funds are NOT held for 7-10 days, it can happend but in my case it took 2 hours without asking anything, as some of my friends.

Third, :r: is still the less expensive solution in the market for exchanging funds from one major currency to another major currency.

1 Like