Charge Back for a failed ATM Transaction

Hi all,
Does anyone have expirience with having an ATM fail to pay and claiming the deducted funds back?
I’m getting contracting information in from the bank that operates the ATM and Revolut themselves. Firstly I was advised that this will take up to 7 days as the transaction is ‘‘pending’’ and it will just get cancelled.
Now I’m told that it is actually a 45 day waiting period as it is considered a chargeback on a successful transaction.

Any input will be appreciated.

Normally merchants have 7 days to complete a transaction. If they fail to do so it will automatically be rejected and you will receive the funds back. However if the transaction have been completed, then it is a chargeback and that can take 45 days.

1 Like

Hi there.

@henrikbjorn is right. There’s 7 days window period until the transaction goes from pending to complete or cancel.

If the transaction is pending means that the merchant has not either collected the funds nor declined the transaction.

There are two possible scenarios now: either they will realise the error and decline it, or they will not realise the error and will settle the transaction.

When that happens, you will be able to see that the transaction no longer appears in grey in your transaction history on the app. Then you can just let us know and we will be able to raise a chargeback on your behalf to recoup the funds.

Thank you for the prompt reply. The transaction no-longer appears as pending at is ‘‘completed’’ . I spoke to the bank itself and was re-directed to you guys to start the chargeback process. I was also given a reference number for said transaction so it could be traced and raised faster. Hopefully I won’t have to wait the full period

Did you proceed with your chargeback?

I placed a chargeback from the link the Revolut chat representative provided and was given an e-mail confirmation that the process has been started. I also contacted the bank and they confirmed that as soon as they receive a request on your behalf they proceed with releasing the funds.

Ok great. We will start writing up the documentation for you now to raise a chargeback to retrieve your funds. Please note that a chargeback procedure can take up to 45 days. This is a MasterCard policy to give the merchant who took your funds time to contest the chargeback.

Thanks. It is highly unlikely the merchant will contest so fingers crossed it does not require the full period to elapse.

We will keep you posted!

1 Like

While I appreciate the reply I’m left dissatisfied with the service. I rang up the merchant today only to get told that Revolut has not yet raised the matter with them. I had to once again contact support and only then received a confirmation that the dispute had been raised.

As mentioned this procedure can take up to 45 days. Rest assured our chargeback team will do whatever is possible to recoup the difference.

It’s been 10 days since the problem occurred and having just spoken to the bank representative I was informed Revolut is yet to notify them of the chargeback request.
Considering most banking institutions would resolve such a case within 48 hours I would strongly recommend that Revolut is avoided for any transactions above 20£ and only used as an alternative in extreme circumstances. In the unlikely case that I have this matter resolved I’ll look in to suspending my account.

Hi there.

We haven’t yet received any answer from the opposite side.The final date of your case is 16th of April, please be patient until then. We will contact you as soon as we have an update.