Cashing a check

Hy guys.
I’ve just got a check (tax return, UK)
The problem is; Revolut is my one and ONLY british bank account. Oh and I moved from the UK, but my brother still lives there. So, if i want him to try to cash the check for me, should he go to the Lloyds bank? Or where?
Cheers

Sorry, that’s not possible. Revolut does not accept cash or checks right now. :disappointed:

1 Like

I don’t think that a person other than you can go and cash a check ?

At least in the U.S. it is not possible to cash checks (more than 500$) into your account without having your name as one of the account holders.

I never had a check in the SEPA area but I don’t think he can simply cash it for you.

Maybe, if the bank knows you (former customer etc.) they will cash it for a fee and wire you the money.

Best,

I did. There is no option to cash in checks to a Revolut account. At all. Nowhere. Not even for account owners. Same with cash. Cash and check deposits are not supported. The money will bounce back. More about this in the FAQs. You could also search his forum, this has been discussed before. :wink:

What your brother could do is to go to a bank where he has an account, and then transfer the money to your Revolut account after the check is paid to his account. I have no idea if U.K. banks would accept a check with someone else’s name.

Unfortunately we don’t accept cash deposits to top-up your Revolut account. They will be returned to the sender with a processing fee deducted.

However, if you brother has a Lloyd’s account or a UK bank account he could cash in to his bank account and then transfer the funds to your Revolut account.

Best,

Andreas K.

1 Like

Worth a try but I’m guessing your bother won’t be able to pay in a cheque made out in your name.

That’s all i wanted to know. Thanx a lot mr Revolut!

1 Like

in the U.S. it is not possible to cash checks (more than 500$) into your account without having your name as one of the account holders

I think you mean the payee name on the check must also be on the account? Or do you mean the person doing it must be the payee?

Both should be true anywhere, but my mother, who handles my mail, deposited one of my checks into her bank account with no resistance or even question from the bank. She had good reason, and I don’t object to her doing it, but I DO object to the bank’s lack of security.

You’re right ! That’s what I meant.

the payee name on the check must also be on the account

That your mom could cash a check for you is fairly okay since the bank “knows” you.
I do banking with TD and BoA and could not cash checks over 500 $ into my account where the payee was my dad.
But this depends on the branch and if the employee knows you, I guess.

No, it’s not OK for two reasons: (1) her bank doesn’t know me; (2) the check was not made out to her.

It’s OK with me for her to do it, but not OK for the bank to allow it before I tell them so in writing. If I were malicious, I could claim fraud and make big trouble for them.

You’re absolutely right. They often assume it is “allowed” for family members even though it seems not correct.

Perhaps it is time to contact the tax and let them check out how the rest of Europe do a tax refund.
Checks are so 1990.