Card top up declines over £250

Getting repeated card declines when I attempt to top up over a certain amount, about £250. Affects different cards and now occurring over several days.

Support say this is an ongoing issue which they cannot seem to resolve for some reason.

Anyone else experiencing this?

1 Like

What kind of cards are they? Credit, Debit or Prepaid?

Both credit and full debit cards. I’ve tried both. (UK). Unable to top up over about £250. I’m wondering if this is a 3D verification problem on Revolut’s side.

Where you able to top up more before? It takes a while until you can top up higher amounts.

Yes, been able to top up with these cards for years now. Higher amounts too.

Support now tell me that they’re working on solving a ‘technical issue’. Wasn’t sure whether this issue was more widespread than just affecting me.

As a temp solution cant you just top-up multiple times 250 ?

1 Like

I can. And I have. I just wonder whether multiple repeated transactions will trigger the fraud alert algorithms of my card issuers and block my cards.

It’s annoying more than anything else, especially as it’s just suddenly happened out of the blue.

2 Likes

Same for me, Was told it was my debit card issuer imposing the limit

I doubt that. It’s occurring with several different card issuers. Also Revolut support confirmed to me that it’s a technical issue that they’re still trying to sort out.

It’s troubling how support seem to give contradictory and different explanations to different customers. I’ve come across such contradictory behaviour in the past.

£250 is the top-up limit for Revolut business accounts. No doubt this figure has mistakenly been applied elsewhere. But with business accounts, you can top up with a card only once, and only for the initial top-up.

Update: I just spoke w/ HSBC customer service, they just rec’d comm saying HSBC no longer supports card top ups to Revolut using HSBC bank cards as topping up is considered a WIRE TRANSFER. (My other Visa card also declined saying it’s considered a Cash Advance, subject to higher % fees, so glad it did decline). So I guess will have to Wire Transfer from my bank to fund my Revolut card…at a fee of $15 per transfer, plus any exchange rate.

I am also experiencing Top Up Declines repeatedly from all 3 bank cards I tried no matter how small the transfer. I have HSBC. HSBC doesn’t even see the declines in their system, but Revolut does and says it’s a bank problem. Since HSBC doesn’t even see the transaction, they can’t action it. I funded Revcard last month from HSBC for $3k, it worked fine. I even deleted the cards in RevApp with the idea to re-add them in and now I can’t even add them back in (Your top-up request was declined by your bank")! What in the world??? Beyond frustrated…

Your problem is related to this:
Top-up from Credit Card now seen as Cash Advance

Are you trying to fund Revolut from a US bank account but are living in Europe?
Transferwise borderless account has often been used as a workaround for that as they offer you a local US bank account and you can top up Revolut with the Transferwise card without any fees as it is EEA issued.

I don’t know how it behaves with the changed MCC now, so try a small amount at first.

I have had 10 top up declines since yesterday (visa debit Bank of Ireland)… Revolut says problem with BOI / BOI says problem with Revolut. I don’t thing Revolut are being open about the issue. Meanwhile it’s pretty hopeless situation

Hi Revolut Community, I’ve been there using several debit cards. Had to top up multiple times.
I went through this for couple weeks and finally went back to normal one day. No idea why this happened in the first place and how it switched back to the regular process. However, back then I was using Revolut a lot so I thought maybe it was a way to limit my spendings for anti-money laundering purpose. Thoughts, comments?

What was the issue exactly?

I want to make top up from euro Visa card. But after some successful tries, it stopped working (after around 8400 euro). The limits at Unicredit are increased and I talked to support 3 times, they see no problem, there is no error, but as soon as Unicredit gives “succes” Revolut says “Your top-up request was declined by your bank. Please contact the CARD PAYMENT DIVISION”. What to do? I can’t wait for many days.

Is the request to contact the third party Visa card issuer? It doesn’t seem like an issue for :r: by all accounts from what you have described.

I am not familiar with who this 3rd party visa card issuer is. I got my card from Unicredit bank (the card is a Visa electron).
Unicredit says they raised the limits and it looks ok at the bank and to talk to Revolut, and Revolut chat says I should talk to Unicredit, because they don’t see the money entering.
Should I talk to Visa?

Visa is not providing customer support. If they answer at all, they’re going to refer you to the Unicredit customer support.

There can be many reasons for failed transactions. The most promising way to figure it out would be Unicredit. The card issuer can see in its backend systems why a payment failed. Merchants, in this case Revolut, often don’t see why.

I personally wouldn’t bother. I would transfer funds via bank transfer instead.

1 Like