Card declined in USA

This is an old thread in which nobody has mentioned the most obvious cause of Revolut being declined in the United States. Hardly any merchants in the US use chip & PIN; instead they use the very old-fashioned swipe method. If this is disabled in your Revolut card’s security settings (which it usually should be), then most transactions in the US will be declined.

With TSB and Santander moving from Visa to Mastercard, Mastercard will issue 20% of UK debit cards.

I had several problems with my Revolut VISA in the US yesterday. Firstly neither contactless or mag-stripe transactions worked at two separate outlets in Austin airport, despite these being enabled in the security settings. Thankfully they allowed me to manually enter the card details which was successful, but this was inconvenient for both of us.

Secondly my card was declined by Enterprise Car Rental at an airport in Wyoming, resulting in me having to use my Nationwide debit card (also a VISA) and incurring a fee for doing so.

I’m going to be in the States for ten more days, so I hope this doesn’t continue to be a problem.

From what I have seen for pretty much all car rental companies, they do not accept prepaid cards for car hire which is why yours may have been declined. Usually has to be a credit card as there’s more chance of getting any money potentially owed at the end of the rental

As a side note, this was taken direct from the Enterprise website

“Some Enterprise Rent-A-Car locations may accept debit cards, pre-paid cards, or other forms of payment to secure the rental transaction. To reserve a vehicle without a major credit card, please contact the local office directly”

Not sure what steps you took to rent the vehicle though

Thanks Lee, that explains the Enterprise problem. As I said, my Nationwide debit card was processed without any issue but I now understand why a rental company would be reluctant to take a prepaid card.

Roll on Revolut debit cards, eh?!

I was in New York one week ago. I never withdrew money. I paid with Revolut on the Pdq (payment terminals.) I had no problems when I had to use the pin. Unfortunately it never worked when I swiped it (always declined,) even though the Revolut payment with the magnetic stripe was active. Maybe I had to activate the GEOLOCALIZATOR.