Card declined at 30,000 feet

What do you mean by Monzo’s “high fees for ATM withdrawals”. With Monzo, the first £200 per month are free for overseas ATM withdrawals, just like Revolut. When I’m abroad, I generally use Revolut at Euro ATMs and Monzo elsewhere, especially with rarer currencies outside the EU. I keep Starling in reserve because they have no overseas withdrawal limits or fees.

Monzo for UK residents only :frowning: That means I can’t get one.

I did not have problems on-flight with WIZZ and offline paying

After 200£ its then a 3% fee, which can be expensive in an extremely cash based society. This and Monzo are expensive for overdrafts (50p/day) assuming your holiday goes pear shaped.

Anyways, my recommendations still stand :+1:

Revolut, N26/Starling (probably Starling due to 0 fees) and a credit card on Visa, unless your Revolut is Visa.

Aren’t like the majority of card nowadays electronic only? Lol.

This is still happening. EasyJet flight from Budapest to Basel yesterday. The flight attendant told me they don’t take Revolut because there’s no connection. She did take my bright green Transferwise card and charged it without a problem.

Yes, nothing changed on the card’s side.
TW does have a debit card with offline limit whereas Revolut can only be charged online or offline but with a ‘card not present’ transaction afterwards which involves more risk for the merchant.

Twice last month I used Revolut on LOT Polish Airlines and it worked perfectly. The cabin crew made a comment to each other about Revolut, probably because they use it themselves. I hadn’t bought PLN in advance, because I wasn’t flying to, from or via Poland and I wasn’t expecting the drinks to be so cheap - PLN 17 for a gin and tonic. The charges were delayed and hit my Revolut PLN account 3 to 4 days after the flight, before which I had time to buy a PLN balance during FX market hours. Perfect!

I am now maintaining a PLN balance in Revolut to use for cheap drinks on LOT flights.

7 Likes

Just in case someone is wondering:
My Revolut Card was declined by the crew of British Airways to pay for onboard drinks, so maybe they do not accept prepaid cards in general.

That’s very poor for British Airways. If they want to introduce charges for drinks (they used to be included within the price of tickets until recently), then they should at least make sure that they can accept all cards.

1 Like