Card declined at 30,000 feet

Hi there,

I tried to pay with my Revolut card on a flight from Belgrade to London this afternoon. It was a chip and pin machine. I entered the pin but the card was declined. I was able to use another card so it wasn’t a big deal.

Any ideas why, please?

:r: (and other pre-paid cards) require a live connection to their server to authorise a payment. Unless the airline has a live Internet connection (Emirates are the only one I am aware of that does) then all pre-paid will be refused.

Hi thanks for this. I’ve no idea if Wizzair has a live connection, but I’m guessing they don’t. However, my prepaid card beginning with M was accepted. I think they use the same card processing company as Revolut (WDCS). It’s curious.

Revolut currently uses PaySafe but are moving to Wirecard.

WDCS = Wirecard. I believe Revolut have already moved, because we now have the WDCS Ts & Cs.

No sure if you’re correct on this. It’s not like no prepaid cards ever work on-board. Google it up and it turns out the majority of airlines say then accept prepaid cards.

Having said that- transactions like these always bring a level of uncertainty, even for normal credit cards.

Anyone have some other on-board experience with Revolut?

Recently on a Thomas Cook flight I had to buy some water (FFS!) I offered my Revolut card (as a test) and the lady asked if it was a prepaid card. When I confirmed it was, she told me that they do not accept pre-paid cards, and I would have to use a “proper debit card”.

Just don’t tell them its prepaid but generally yes prepaid card’s requires online access to verify the availability of the fund on the cards while for general cards the offline terminal just pre-authorise the transaction.

This doesn’t explain why my Monzo card was accepted after the Revolut card was declined.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused. It is true that due to a terminal not having online connectivity, the card may decline. Same can be said for toll booths and automatic petrol stations. Apologies for this guys! We can always double check a reason for decline if you contact us.

1 Like

Sorry for any inconvenience caused. It is true that due to a terminal not having online connectivity, the card may decline. Same can be said for toll booths and automatic petrol stations. Apologies for this guys! We can always double check a reason for decline if you contact us.

3 Likes

OK thanks. It was no biggie - overpriced onboard drinks anyhow!

2 Likes

Thanks @larysa.stachowicz I’ll remember that next time I’m at 30,000 feet :joy::rofl::grin:

1 Like

Once you’re safely on the ground of course!

1 Like

You’re right of course. I should have known better than to make this joke. Thank you.

My Revolut card was refused on a flydubai flight. Nornal credit card worked well… Now I see the reason… good to know

Same here. Card being declined 2 times on WizzAir plane. Tried with chip and contactless.
They also told me that don’t accept VISA Electron.

Maybe its all about offline transaction.

1 Like

Earlier this year, my Curve commercial prepaid debit card was accepted on a Wizz flight. The transaction was not presented for authorisation to Curve until two days later. I was under the impression that Revolut and Curve cards had the same prepaid limitations.

1 Like

Revolut cards should work at 30.000 feet. I asked Revolut for confirmation on this, the newer ones should indeed work for offline transactions.

If not N26 or Starling may be your best bet as both offer fee-free foreign currency transactions, unlike Curve that hide a limit within a limit within a limit (they base your exchange rates off where your card is issued, your country and other data).

Just to let you know the N26 card is perfectly capable of doing offline and online transactions - and is a full debit card.

Starling and Monzo both prefer online.

I can’t recommend Monzo due to their high fee when it comes to ATM withdrawals.

I would personally take something like a Halifax Clarity credit card(unless you have Revolut VISA), a Revolut mastercard and an N26 card.

1 Like