Car rental

Hi! Yesterday I tried to rent a car with my revolut. The car shop charged me the price of the rental and then, as I believe they do on other cards, he put on hold another 250$. He told me that’s a normal procedure and that they will not charge that at the end, let’s said, they “return” the money to the card.
Is revolut able to accept the money back from the car rental? Can he cancel the 250$ he previously made?
How does this works? Am I going to get my 250$ back?

Thank you!

Ps: similar situation happened on a pump station as I asked for 25$, that was imediatly charged to the revolut card, but then could only pump into the car 16,54$. In the pump station they said it will return to the card! Will it return?

Yes, that is normal behavior for security deposits. Check the transaction status in the app. They are shown as “pending” and will be released usually within 10 days. It might take longer with car rentals, the 10 day period may start a couple of days after you returned a car.

(“Retun” to the card is not 100 percent correct here. The money never was taken from the card. It was just secured. It will be released again. This is not a refund or something like that. That is how it is with all Mastercards.)

1 Like

From the FAQ’s -

Can I pay a security deposit with my Revolut card?

When you use your card for a security deposit, an amount will be blocked from your card for up to 10 working days. You won’t be able to spend the blocked amount during this time.

We usually suggest paying for the security deposit with your debit/credit card. Then pay the final balance with your Revolut card to avoid any foreign transaction fees. Alternatively, just make sure you account for the security deposit when calculating your holiday budget and topping up!

2 Likes

Thank you guys. You were very helpful.

1 Like

Glad we could sort it out.

I recommend to read the FAQs. It’s a good read. Plenty of useful informations of how things work. :wink:

1 Like

Hello. I have a similar situation. I rented a car last week where I left 300€ Deposit. Gave it back on the1st of September today is the 9th and haven’t gotten it back. Is this normal? Thanks

if you just look at the answer 3 replies before you the FAQ states up to 10 day, so yes this is normal.
If you tap the transaction it should show “pending” at the top

Is it possible to rent on all companies? Does the card have embossed numbers that allow you to rent it safely?

Here’s the best advice: check with the specific rental company on their website!

Most car rentals are very specific about this in their FAQs. It’s very common that debit cars are accepted for small and medium sized cars, but they might ask for two credit cars for a Porsche. This also varies between countries. The same rental company might have different policies in different countries.

Frank thanks for the reply.
I have to rent a car in Portugal, through the Ryanair service, a small car, and they ask for cards with embossed numbers.
I don’t know if the revolut metal card has these numbers in relief.
in the paper option it says that you can opt for a rental, but I don’t find similar experiences outside the UK … I’m doubtful and wouldn’t want to risk it…

The metal card has no embossed numbers. The standard plastic one has that.

Out of curiosity, I briefly looked at Ryanair’s car rental FAQs.

This is what is written there:

You can book your car with us using most credit and debit cards. We’ll let you know what we accept while you’re booking.

But it’s important for us to let you know that the main driver will need a credit card with them to pick up the car. This is because the hire car company need to put a deposit on the main driver’s credit card.

Based on the wording here, and because they make the distinction between debit and credit card in the first paragraph, I would assume that you indeed need a credit card. Revolut cards are debit cards.

Hello, I also did the security deposit while renting a car and when the company tried to return money on my account (through card) the machine said that the transaction expired so it was not possible to do the return. I can see, on my account, that the transaction is still pending, but with a quote that the recipient has to cancle the transaction.

My question is - will be the deposit returned to my account automatically after some days? Or does the car company have to cancel the transaction? Thank you!

Hi,
is this still valid
that
the standard plastic card contains embossed numbers currently in September 2021?
Can someone please verify?
Thanks
Cheers

…cause i like to use it in german supermarkets at cashier desks, instead of maestro card…
would it be also possible to do this without embossed numbers?

but i like also to have an embossed card, because ii am often on scuba divers islands in asia, where sometimes an power failure happens for couple of hours, so they can use it the “old” way mechanical.
Thanks
cheers

No, I don’t think so.

Does anybody’s know if you need to pay the rental company with the revolut debit card in order to have the insurance covered ? Or you an pay with any other card?

1 Like

I can verify that my new standard cards made in February 2022 do not have embossed numbers.

Does anyone know if Revolut Metal includes Zipcar excess insurance if I hire locally? (London)

so just to be sure 5 years later: will we get insurance coverage (with revolut metal) if we pay for the car rental with the revolut card and give another credit card for the security deposit?