Can't topup with Alpha Bank Visa (Greece)

I’m trying to top app with my Alpha Bank Visa (Greece) but fails and I can see 1€ transactions on my cards account (not confirmed although).

Steps to reproduce:

1. I enter my card details
  2. Card Holder address is autocompleted and correct
  3. As soon as I press the tick, I am presented with the interface of Alpha Secure Web to enter my password
  4. A nag screen is appearing very fast and then I am returned to Card Holders address screen.

No specific error is displayed. I suspect the redirection back to app is not working. Also why I’m going directly to 1€ transaction and I am not ask for the amount of money to topup?

On the Alpha Secure Web interface I can see that I have five 1€ transactions (see attached screenshot). I tried five times to topup.

Hi @baskin,

Just to clarify, due to capital controls in Greece we currently do not support Greek Cards. However, you can Top Up your account via bank transfer. This 1€ pre verification charge and it will be back to your account within 2 - 3 working days.

If you have any further questions please contact our support team via the in-app support chat.

Best,

Andreas K.

Thanks for the reply. Although Greek credit cards are fine for purchases from abroad internet shops now. I don’t know why capital controls are restricting them but I have made numerous orders from Amazon or standalone shops. It seems that this specific transaction is tagged with a forbidden type.

I don’t know if it is easy for you to circumvent this but Greek cards are working as expected with the majority of international shops now.

Thanks again for the reply.

Is it now possible to top up via greek bank cards? We’re going there in July :slight_smile:

Eurozone sovereign debt crisis still raging on, 8 years after it started via the GFC. :disappointed:

Hey @AndreasK ! Just installed Revolut for iOS. None of my Visa or Mastercard cards is supported. Have you started support Greek cards or Bank transfer is my only option now?

Hi there. Unfortunately, Greek cards are not supported due to capital controls. However, we’re working on a solution as we speak.

In the meantime, you can top up your account via bank transfer.

Go More -> Account details -> EUR (make sure you activate your personal iban).

If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Best,

Andreas K.

Thank you! I have tried bank transfer only with Paypal and my bank (alpha) debited me 3 Euros for each transaction!! Only to verify my account with Paypal cost me 6 euros for two small transactions they made, so its not an option for me. In case you find out a solution please let us know.

SEPA transfers are free! Only if your bank charges for domestic transfer you may face a small fee.

You can transfer funds from your Alpha Bank account. It should be via SEPA.

Hello, I tried a SEPA transfer with Eurobank and the charge was 21 euro for 400euro am I doing something wrong? (only eurobank).

I checked and this is the option on whether we would like to be charged all fees ourselves (not the recipient). The other option is 1euro. Does this mean that you do not charge anything at later stage?

Are you sure it was a SEPA transfer? SEPA transfers should not give you this option at all:

SEPA international transfers cost exactly the same as domestic ones, by regulation.

I have transferred, several times, funds from Greek Alpha Bank with SEPA and they charge only 1€, at least up to 400€ which is the biggest topup I have done until now. Don’t know about Eurobank but never had an issue with SEPA transfers from Alpha Bank.

1 Like

How do you transfer with sepa? I click on the “transfer” page on my alpha bank web banking page and it asks for country, address and so on… just like it would happen when I’m transferring regularly, I have activated my EUR account on the revolut app, I am ready to go from that side… I just can’t figure out how to transfer using SEPA

How do you transfer with sepa? I click on the “transfer” page on my alpha bank web banking page and it asks for country, address and so on… just like it would happen when I’m transferring regularly, I have activated my EUR account on the revolut app, I am ready to go from that side… I just can’t figure out how to transfer using SEPA

If you use your personal EUR IBAN details then transfer will be sent via SEPA :slight_smile:

oh so its not a separate option… thank you!

It’s not a separate option on Revolut’s side. (In fact, the local personal EUR IBAN details only accept incoming SEPA payments, if it is correct what’s stated in the app).

It might be a separate option on your bank’s side, though. You must make sure that your bank is sending it as a SEPA EUR transfer.

Just use “Μεταφορές” and “Εκτός Ελλάδος” on the web interface of Alpha Bank, you don’t have to do something special for SEPA transfer inside the EU.

Hello all,

Old topic but same problem:
I understand that capital controls in Greece are more relaxed now. Way better than 2 years ago. Does anybody know if Greek cards (like Alpha Bank’s) are still block for top-up use of an R card?
A friend of mine attempted yesterday and it was not accepted.

Thank you!

Yes, all Greek cards still have capital control for money transfers. So it’s not possible until the lifted all. Hoping before the end of this year. It’s so frustrating that…

1 Like