Buying petrol at an automated petrol station

I was in France this Sunday. I tried to buy petrol at a 24/7 petrol station but the card was declined… I had to use my traditional credit card and was charged asstronomical spreads for the exchange rate and asstronomical commissions by VISA thief.

Please let me use my Revolut card to refill my car…

3 Likes

Have a look at:

FAQ: Why is my card declined at toll booths & automatic petrol pumps?

This is a limitation of the machine at the petrol station.

Same issue as it takes €120 as a guarantee and then charge the correct amount.t
This is the rule on prepaid card

I had the same problem recently. My friends had Monzo cards which are also Mastercard backed and theirs worked every time. The link you supplied there doesn’t go anywhere useful.

When they see a debit card, automatic petrol pumps make a pre-authorisation to make sure you can cover a pre-defined amount (let’s say 130 EUR) worth of petrol.
That sounds like a lot of petrol, but vans and lorries have big tanks…
Anyway, after you fill up your tank, the pump will ‘refund’ the difference.
Actually on your statement you will not see -130 +refund, it’ll get cleared internally, but that is what happens.

Maybe your friend with the Monzo card had more than the 130 EUR, and you had less.

On a side note, if you’re wondering what would happen should you try to fill up more than 130 EUR worth of petrol… the pump will just stop. You can take my word for it, or try it out yourself if you’ve got a larger vehicle! :wink:

1 Like

Link not working anymore…

It never worked for me to pay directly at the pump, Switzerland, France, Germany, Norway, Czech Republic. If you want petrol go inside the gas station shop and if it’s closed or there is no shop choose an other one…

Here is a better post with more info on the problem : https://community.revolut.com/t/pay-at-pump

So there it is, just plainly sad : https://www.revolut.com/fr/help/exploring-revolut/spending-and-sending-money/using-my-card/which-merchant-is-not-supported-with-revolut?lang=en

I mean it works with N26, you get charged 150 euros, and get a refund a few days later.
Why can’t it works like that for Revolut as well?

As far as I know( as I own an N26 card.) N26 card is not a prepaid card, it’s a debit card.

OK struggling a bit between all these types of card, thank you!

The petrol station issue is not related to the type of card, at least directly. It’s Revolut that doesn’t want to enable payments at automated fuel pumps as they are considered higher risk

I have other prepaid cards that work there fine

Some SHELL stations in the Czech Republic offer Masterpass payments. These works with Revolut just fine.
https://www.mastercard.cz/cs-cz/zakaznici/partnerstvi/masterpass-shell.html

Why is it considered as higher risk? I mean they did not even enable 3DSecure

1 Like

It’s just that in banking unmanned petrol stations are considered higher risk as are online purchases.

Probably because when you have to deal with someone such as a cashier that’s considered a deterrent if you’re using a stolen card

OK thanks for the explanation!
But anyway that’s not very convenient

I have this all the time, apparently Revolut does not support the auto petrol station

Frankly this is a serious limitation. Try finding any non-automated ones in France nowadays.

This is unacceptable ! My N26 card is working just fine on petrol station (and not just any petrol station but a Total one), security or not, technical issue or not, it does matter ! How are we suppose to travel if we can’t even put gas on our car with our travelling card !

This is a basic need and it’s not possible to pay a premium fee and not being able to use the card on that !

2 Likes