Blocked money for offline transactions

Hey there,

I know the topic offline transactions has been discussed a lot here. Unfortunately, I don’t think the current solution of Revolut is very good for two reasons:

• Cards that allow offline transactions are much faster (please correct me if I’m wrong). I’ve been to a shop with my mother a few days ago and she paid with a VISA credit card that allows for offline transactions. The terminal beeped even before the card reached it, that’s just awesome. With Revolut, it takes a number of seconds, you have no problem reading the “Authorizing…” text on the screen.
  • Some terminals aren’t connected to the internet and, thus, transactions fail. This is a big issue from my point of view.

The general argument against offline transactions has been that the account could then go below zero when transactions are committed. I have two proposals here:

• Trust users after some time. Is it really such a big danger for Revolut to allow me to spend 50 Euros offline if I’ve spent 15.000 Euros with Revolut over the past year?
  • Allow users to block money for offline transactions. For example, the card could allow up to 100 Euro offline if the users blocked 100 Euro on their account. Online transactions would than if the account would come close to 100 Euro and the users can withdraw these 100 Euro. Unblocking would take time or require the card to be blocked, …
3 Likes

Same here
If i buyed a trip flight, hotel, /Maybe car rent) Some tours
For like 1000-1500€
Why am i not allowed to buy a cup of coffee in the flight for like 2-3€ ?
Then i was flying to oslo, staff told us over the speaker, we only accept card

No big deal to have a vault with 100 € Or similar, depending on the currency

1 Like

There also the problem if traveling and the bank system or internet are offline
That’s mean you are not able to pay anything or use ATM

Hmmm

If you have made a payment with an offline POS terminal (such as a flight or petrol station), it can occasionally take a few days or even a few weeks for these transactions to appear on your statement.

So does it work now?

I don’t recognise a card payment

Sometimes the merchant name shown in your statement may not resemble their actual brand name, so please double-check this first with a quick Google search. Equally, if a friend or relative happens to have access to your card, please double-check with them that they have not made this payment.

If you have made a payment with an offline POS terminal (such as a flight or petrol station), it can occasionally take a few days or even a few weeks for these transactions to appear on your statement.

If you are absolutely certain that your card has been compromised, please freeze your card immediately via the app and speak to one of our support agents right away.

I’ll attach the reply from curve

Hello I hope someone can help on this matter. I used my curve card to make a few payments to openpay and just eat now my revolut card has went overdrawn by £86. Now when I made the payments with openpay and just eat the money left my revolut account immediately so everything seemed fine. I contacted revolut and they told me curve made these transactions offline… I then contacted curve and they told me the payments went through just fine and that no offline transactions were made. I’m going around in circles here with curve blaming revolut and vice versa.

There’s something called a delayed transaction. It’s not really an offline transaction, but there’s a window where authorized and blocked funds become available again before the final settlement. A first attempt to transfer money fails (for whatever reason, usually network problems) and the merchant then tries a 2nd time a little later. This might have happened here.