Better shopping protection

I just found this provider: https://www.zen.com/

They offer a 1-year extension of the warranty of electronic products purchased with their card. That would be sort of neat to have at Revolut too.

2 Likes

I don’t know if that’s worth the price to be honest. Here in the Netherlands we have a warranty of 2 years standard (by law) on electronic devices(Apple got some issues because of that a while ago here). In other countries I assume there are similar rules for warranty.

What might be a great addition is to offer purchase insurance/protection of 180days on the Free and Premium accounts for a small additional fee, in that case you have also insurance if you broke your phone for example.

If it’s in the Netherlands like it’s regulated by the EU, there might be a difference between warranty and warranty. In the first year, you’re covered without providing proof that a defect existed before you bought it. In the second year, the liability shifts. To be covered, a customer needs to show that the failure was caused by a production error that existed already before you bought it. Some insurances can improve customer protection by having lower requirements regarding liability.

I am not a lawyer, so apologies for the clumsy description. And it might be of course possible that you’ve got better protection in the Netherlands. There’s nothing to prevent countries from offering better consumer protection than EU law would demand.

If I remember Apple’s case correctly, it was more a marketing problem. They did always fulfill their legal responsibilities, but they wanted to sell their Apple Care plans and would write on the website about options to extend the 1 year warranty, which was misleading.

Here’s reporting on Apples case: https://www.theverge.com/2012/4/2/2919756/apple-eu-statutory-warranty-two-years

1 Like

With the normal EU warranty the liability shifts after only 6 months. Within the first 6 months the warranty is unconditional — given normal usage — and in the last 1.5 years you can be asked to prove that you did not cause the defect.

Apple’s (an any other) 1-year guarantee extends that 6-month window into a 12-month window where you do not have to prove a thing. With certain products, such as beds, kitchens, cars, bikes, etc. the product guarantee might be way longer, even lifetime. But only under certain conditions.

You are still covered by the EU warranty even if the product guarantee won’t cover you — again, given normal usage. There is a lot of grey area when it comes to, say, water defects, because that would not be covered as “normal usage” in any case, and neither warranty nor guarantee would cover that.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying! I am happy to live in one of the 6 EU states where national law dictates 12 months, so I didn’t know it’s just 6 generally.

They launched something similar to the proposed feature with the paid plans.