Bank won’t recognise new Euro IBAN/BIC!

Hi, thanks for the new Euro IBAN and BIC. That’s really great. My French bank is asking which country the bank is in. I say UK, but they say the IBAN is not from UK but Lithuania, although BIC is GB/UK! Please can you tell me how to answer them, so I can create a transfer. Thanks.

1 Like

It is a Lithuanian Central Bank account, Revolut said it on Twitter.
You can check the REVOGB21 IBAN here https://www.ibancalculator.com/blz.html and it says Lithuania.

1 Like

I also activated the new Euro personal account and I tried topping up my Revolute card using two different bank accounts. Both banks could not recognize the IBAN (I got the message that it was either too short or in a wrong format).

The problem is that now I am stuck and I cannot top up my card! I contacted support and they told me that they are working on this issue. Why did they roll out something that doesn’t seem to work without testing it extensively first?

After reading the post by @KharanS above, I managed to find the post on Twitter where it says the accounts are with the Central Bank of Lithuania.

I think the IBAN is the right length for Lithuania. You can check it here:

https://www.iban.com

Maybe tell your bank it’s the right length for Lithuania?

This problem is also discussed at the end of this thread:

1 Like

Today, tried bank transfer from Belgium (a) IBAN and BIC as given in app (b) just IBAN © IBAN with alternative BIC (found in this forum - LOYDGB2LCTY). All three rejected for ‘invalid BIC’. Is this card I have useless or what?

Please follow the tread I linked here one post ahead of yours. This is discussed there.

1 Like

You need to add XXX at the end of the BIC. I believe it will work if you do that.

Can someone from Support get in here and provide clear instructions on this issue? This is not our responsibility to figure out a solution or how to properly use Revolut and this new feature. How can you launch a product without properly testing it before with the banking system and adequately informing your customers?

This type of service is unacceptable. How can you expect us to trust you with this kind of poorly designed services? Also your customer service is unprepared to provide any help with this issue.

We trust you with our money, I would expect more from you.

1 Like

Sorry it is not clear which post you refer to. I found no solution anyway.

Right, there is no solution right now. But it is discussed there that some customers have problems, some don’t, and most likely the problem occurs on the sender’s bank systems side, not on Revolut’s side.

I myself was able to do a transfer from one of my banks, but not from the other one.

So it might be the situation that Revolut did indeed implement a feature properly under SEPA guidelines, but other banks did not.

Also, it is easier to discuss a certain problem in one thread, and not in three different ones, isn’t it?

1 Like

Exactly so. I just got an answer from support that acknowledges the problem and they are working on it. When I asked what timeline, it was ‘I think next week…’ So they are selling a service that does not work. Notably for Belgian customers, the only realistic way to top up other than bank transfer is with a debit card, but Belgian debit cards have no CVC number so that does not work either.
And if I raised the topic in three different places, that is because the topic is discussed in those different places and it isn’t really clear which one might lead to a solution.

2 Likes

@jock I got the same reply from customer support yesterday …so basically no support on this issue!

Yes, I had the same reply - we’re working on it and we’ll get back to you next week.

I checked the IBAN here:

https://www.iban.com

According to this, it checks out and appears to be the right length for Lithuania. The problem may be that some banks in various countries aren’t used to Lithuanian IBANs.

My French bank demands to know the country when adding the IBAN to a transfer. Lithuania isn’t one of the countries in their drop down menu! So I have to contact them about it directly, which I’m doing next week.

If I get some good news, I’ll report back. :grinning:

1 Like

As unfortunate as it is if one can’t use a service, I can confirm that I was successfully able to transfer money from 2 out of 3 of my accounts I’ve tested. My assumption now is that the problem is better discussed with the bank that does not accept the IBAN Revolut provides.

@Frank I disagree. This is not our problem, we are the customers. It’s 100% up to Revolut to find a solution to this problem and offer a service that is compatible with the needs of its customers. It’s not up to us to find the solution to a poorly designed service.

I don’t have time to go through the customer service of all the banks I use in order to make Revolut’s new service compatible with the banking system. I maintain accounts in several countries and use them to top up my Revolut card. Now I am unable to do that. And Revolut’s customer support seems to have no clue on how to assist.

I am sorry, but as I said before this is unacceptable.

1 Like

Well, I get that. But it is not Revolut’s responsibility that other banks might not have implemented SEPA transfers like it is defined by the regulators. Or maybe it is about updating databases. When N26 got their banking license, their IBANs wouldn’t work for a couple of days with some banks because the other banks simply didn’t update their database yet and could not transfer money to this new bank that was just not in their systems. Or like a customer from France reported here: Lithuania is simply not in the list of countries he can choose from in his online banking for making a SEPA transfer.

It is of course up to you what you accept or not.

2 Likes

er no, Frank. A company should not sell a service as operational in Belgium when it is not. And they know it is not. And they don’t put that information anywhere so we all waste our time trying to make it work and talking about it. I am pleased the service works for you, but unless you are in Belgium that proves nothing.

1 Like

@Makis and @jock I completely agree with @Frank. It’s not Revolut’s fault if they provide a valid service that other banks or companies or even countries haven’t yet worked out how to accept. You cannot expect Revolut to solve mistakes or poor service from other banks or companies or countries. It’s only because Revolut is still a small company that you expect them to do this. They are a new bank providing a groundbreaking service which is obviously why you want to use them. It sounds like you are blaming Revolut because your other banks or your employer are inefficient and inflexible and there’s nothing you can do about that.

2 Likes

Jm, @jock, true, I am not in Belgium. But do you know that all Belgium banks aren’t accepting the IBAN? The introduction of unique EUR IBANS is brand new. Like two days or something. And support already said they’re on it. It has some quirks, true, but one was able to use and top up Revolut’s card for a long time before that.

About debit card without CVC: this is not an exclusive Belgium problem, that affects all debit cards that can’t be used for online shopping. You could use a credit card instead. You’re probably not happy with that, because it would cost you a fee. But there isn’t a legal right that a company has to guarantee the same service if the conditions (e. g. Belgium banks not offering debit cards that can be used for online-shopping) are making it just not possible to use a certain service.

Another case: under the new SEPA regulations, every EU customer is free to chose a bank account in any country he likes. People in Ireland can open a bank account with N26. They get a German IBAN. When they now want to set up their direct debit for, let’s say their monthly energy bill, they can’t add their German IBAN, the system only accepts Irish accounts. This is not because N26 is offering a faulty service, it is because the energy provider’s systems aren’t up to date.

3 Likes