Balance in NOK

When we travel to the US I convert my GBP to USD in advance so that for the duration of my trip the price of the dollar is fixed rather than using the per-transaction conversion mechanism. Arguably this is pointless, but it makes me feel better (I do the conversion at a time of day when the GBP/USD market is very active so the rate is not affected by the spikes you can get during low-volume periods).

Soon I will travel to Norway, and I would like to follow the same pattern and convert to NOK before I travel but I can’t see how to do this in the app.

If I can’t, and I have a non-zero balance in EUR, GBP and USD: which will be converted-from when I spend in NOK?

Hello @WillerZ,

On the app you can only exchange between GBP, Euro & USD. For currencies other then GBP, EUR & USD, there’s no need to exchange beforehand as the card will automatically convert your funds to the local currency using our exchange rate. The ward will work as a local card.

If you have balance in these three currency while you’re abroad, the card selects which balance to use in the following order:

The local currency of the merchant/ATM e.g. if you are in the U.K. it will use GBP, your base currency (for a UK resident this would be GBP, if you are within the Eurozone this will be EUR and anywhere else will be USD).

You need to have sufficient funds in one single balance in order to make a transaction. If you don’t have enough funds in the balance of the local currency, it will default to your next largest balance and so on.

Tip: Remember always choose to be charged in the local currency.

@AndreasK thank you for the example. But what most would interest here is what happens if you top up your card in euro and then travel to a country that doesn’t accept euro, USD or Pound?
Is the conversion done directly from euro into whatever or via another currency?

And what happens if you have pound and euro on the card which currency is then used for the conversion.

Also if you have two currencies on the card and you want to do an transaction that is bigger then the two individual deposits. Are then both combined automatically or do you have to merge them manually first?

That assumption is correct. Whatever balance you have in your wallets if you use the card it will use the rates between the wallet currency to the currency you’re spending on.

So EUR to NOK if you only have a balance in EUR and not GBP.

Well that doesn’t cover all my questions.
What happens if you have pound and euro or all three currencies?

In which case the balance with the largest amount will be used. Followed by the next balance until there’s no funds left to convert.

@damianryan that’s correct!