Authentication does not work

I am Cuban and spend 6 months a year in the UK with my sister, so opened a Revolut account. The authentication asks for a photograph of the front of my ID Card, which works OK, it then asks for a photograph of the back of the card, but it will not take the photograph.

I got in touch with support who asked me to send photos of my Passport, Visa, ID card and of me holding the cards next to my face, which I did, and support said they could not authenticate my account because the Visa was a type C.

Revolut state in their adverts:-

Newcomers to any country are often presented with an impossible catch-22: to rent or buy a home, you need a bank account. But to get a bank account, you need proof of address. Sigh.

Enter Revolut 3.7

Our latest update eliminates these hurdles, enabling customers to open a free Revolut current account from a smartphone in 3 minutes. There’s no need for proof of address or a credit check: new users can verify their account with a simple selfie and snap of their passport.

Hello @Oraima,

" Revolut state in their adverts:-

Newcomers to any country are often presented with an impossible catch-22: to rent or buy a home, you need a bank account. But to get a bank account, you need proof of address. Sigh.

Enter Revolut 3.7

Our latest update eliminates these hurdles, enabling customers to open a free Revolut current account from a smartphone in 3 minutes. There’s no need for proof of address or a credit check: new users can verify their account with a simple selfie and snap of their passport."

This ^ applies ^ to those who are eligible to open an account as our services are only available to the legal residents in the EEA.

If you check our FAQs and T&C you’ll find the following:

Some UK users won’t need to verify their identity, as we’ll do it electronically behind the scenes. UK users should try and top-up their Revolut account with a debit card first. If we can’t verify your identity electronically, you will be prompted to do the following:

Go to the ‘Profile’ section of the app and select ‘Verification and Limits’ Next, select ‘Verify My Identity.’ You will be prompted to take a photo of a valid government issue photo ID and of your face. Please note that we may request a copy of your legal right to remain (e.g. visa, residence permit) if you provide a passport issued in a country outside of the European Union.

Best

Andreas K.

Why does Cuba appear in the list of countries when I try to authenticate when it is “only available to the legal residents in the EEA”

Im sorry for any inconvenience caused, but Cuba is not listed in the following countries.

So why is Cuba is in your list for authentication

Can you send me a screenshot so we can take a look and change it?

All you have to do is to go into the app to authenticate and select Cuba from the drop down menu. The Cuban flag appears and the ability to take a photograph of the Cuban identity card.

What happens to my account I opened with Revolut?

Ok. Let me clarify something, users from outside the EEA e.g. from Cuba can still verify their accounts in the app. That’s not an issue. We have users from all over the world. However, they need to provide VISA (right to remain in the EEA) as our services is ONLY available to legal residents in the EEA.

e.g A Mexican guy lives and works in London, by verifying his account and providing a proof of right to remain in the UK he’s eligible to use Revolut.

It looks as though I will have to open an account with Barclays or HSBC, which I did not want to do,