Australia & Current Account

Hi everyone,

I’m a French student who’s coming to Australia for a 6 months internship. I would like to know if the premium account is sufficient as a current account in my everyday life in Sydney or is it more recommended to create an account in an Australian Bank. As a student I would not like to spend to much money on different fees such as interbank cost.

Thank you for your advice !

Right now, Revolut is not suited for replacing a current account outside of the UK or EUR SEPA countries.

Thank You Frank for this answer.

It would depend on whether you have to do any local banking transfers or direct debits (which are either very expensive or impossible using Revolut, currently).
If you have no Australian income and no regular bills to pay (eg you just get a room in a shared house and the bills are not in your name), the Revolut account would be sufficient and you wouldn’t need the Premium account either.
In Australia you don’t need much cash, contactless payments (up to $100 a pop without PIN!) are the norm pretty much everywhere.
Si jamais tu as un compte chez BNP Paribas, tu peux retirer des sous gratos aux distributeurs Westpac, donc sans frais et au taux interbancaire (comme Revolut en semaine, mais pas plafonné à 200€/400€ par mois).

Hi, and if I withdraw money from an ATM, how much is the daily/monthly limit please ? I need to buy a car cash (~4000 AUD) and currently only have my revolut card with AUD on it (and a swiss bank account)

You can withdraw 4.000 AUS$ but depending on your plan you’ll pay 2% after 400(Premium) EUR/GBP/CHF.
Check in your settings:

Hi. I am travelling to Australia shortly. I am new to revolut. I have a standard plan. Is it a bad idea to rely mainly on revolut for accessing funds over there? I am concerned I may need to use more than 200 a day if on a family day trip or when renting our car? Is there a limit on contactless tapping and what is the daily and monthly limit for withdraw cash? If I reach that limit is my contact less usage also affected?

visited Perth and had no problems using myCard the exchange rate was fantastic

Hi @Carol1, I need to say clearly that everything you ask is indeed basic FAQ and the info is everywhere in the help section AND the forum.
However, the only thing that needs attention – from my point of view – is the rented car. They will put a pre-auth in the card so if that deposit is 1.000 AUS you’ll need to top-up at least that amount. It’ll be blocked.

You should use :r: as much as possible for card payments. Basic means that after 200 €/£ you’ll pay 2% for every cash withdrawal.

It is a good idea to have your account fully verified before topping up thousands of €/£. You may need to proof the source of funds.

Maybe it is a good idea to chat with the support just to check if they see any problems.

In general: always carry a second/third card.

1 Like

@Carol1 and double check with the car rental company beforehand what kind of cards they accept. Most rental companies clearly state on their website if they accept debit cards, or only credit cards. Many rule out prepaid debit cards. So bring a backup card and don’t rely on your Revolut card only here.

1 Like