ATM/Shopping Etc Thailand/Exchange money.

I should know this but.
When I withdraw Bhat from an ATM, I’m given two choices, One is local currency WITH OR WITHOUT conversion.
Which one is it, I also notice you can withdraw £200. Is that per day?
Thank you

You should choose without conversion. This way Revolut handles the conversion, you’ll get a great rate this way, 99.99% of the time and a good rate the other 0.01% of the time.

When you choose with conversion, the ATM provider will do the conversion and then bill you in GBP. They also very often apply markups of up to 6%, so you get a terrible exchange rate.

Also, the £200 is per month. After this £200 “limit” is reached, you have to pay 2% on all money withdrawn from an ATM. (so for £100 you would pay £2, this normally isn’t an issue but it depends on if card is widely accepted or not. you should save this money on the exchange rate though!)

As a further tip, transfer into your Thai Bhat wallet during the week! This saves you from the weekend markup.

3 Likes

Thank you, I thought it was without conversion,
£200 A MONTH. Not good.

I mean, there’s no actual cap that you’d hit that would physically stop you withdrawing money, but you would have a 2% fee after withdrawing £200 or more in a month.

In Europe at least, contactless and EMV are all widespread enough to use. I wouldn’t mind paying £4-6 while abroad :man_shrugging: you make it back on the exchange rates anyways!

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks very much, I remember now.
Regards

Feel free to upgrade. :rofl:

Couldn’t name many cards that give you £1 free foreign ATM withdrawal tbh let alone £200 lol

1 Like

As far as I know all ATM’s in Thailand charge hefty price for withdrawal with all foreign cards, including Revolut. Looks like bringing cash (eur/usd) is best option for Thailand.

Well depends on what hefty is. Could be worse. 150฿ is still doable (0฿ would be better of course :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:). But yes, all ATM in Thailand charge a fee. No way around it.

Revolut adds 1% markup all time for THB and 2% in weekends making it more expensive.

It is still one of the cheaper ways to exchange your money beforehand - except you go to an exchange booth in the country which requires you to have enough cash in your wallet when going to the country.

Cheapest would probably be a US bank account like Chase that refund ATM withdrawals

Yeah, there are a few banks that do that. But if you had a bank like that you probably wouldn’t use Revolut for overseas.

@BendikHa uses his Revolut card in the US as he studies there for part of the year. He has a US account however I don’t think it has fee-free foreign transactions or cashback or even atm reimbursable costs

That’s right. Nine months out of the year I lube in The US using Revolut as my primary bank. This is because of the cash back rate Revolut gives as well as the good exchange rate. I have an account with chase, but that one is primarily used for paying my tuition only.

I take £50.s or £20’ MUST be new, and exchange at
One of the two (Forget their names) exchange’s on -1 floor BKK airport, ALWAYS better by + 1-2 Baht per £1.00

1 Like

Very good point about the notes. They MUST be new or they will not be accepted. I had a £50, 3 £20s and a £10 refused purely because they had dirty marks or writing (pen) on them. The Baht notes I received for the good £ notes were filthy/torn/written on and when I pointed this out I was told not to use that exchange again. The branch was Bank of Ayudhya, 12/41-42 Moo 1, Maenam, Ko Samui 84330, Thailand. I now always obtain a batch of new notes before I leave UK. To be honest though I find that using my Starling card gives me a marginally better exchange rate (no 1% markup) so I put up with the 220baht ATM fee and draw 10,000Baht at a time.

Maybe this can help you (that was in 2018):

That’s great but according to the list there are only two on Samui, Tesco Lotus in Lamai and one in Chaweng. Lamai is actually a good location for me as I spend about 4 months a year there, just a shame there isn’t one in Maenam. I’m back there in May so I’ll check them out.

Took me a while to find the one on Samui. They call it the “Mystery ATM” for a reason. :sweat_smile:

It used to have no fees at all but now all ATM charge a fee but these where cheapest ones.