Apple Pay support

I haven’t said it’s just a one time fee, sorry, I should have made clear what I meant with „one time“ here. Some details about Apple Pay fees came to light around the time when press reported about the court fight in Australia in 2017.

Isn’t boon a virtual card, of which Revolut doesn’t solely rely on? If you want to be rejected by some merchants for using them

Yes, and I am suggesting that Revolut should issue physical cards, virtual cards and Apple Pay cards all as separate cards within the Cards tab, each with its own security settings.

1 Like

Wouldnt an apple pay card, just be a virtual card.

I’m guessing - it seems the most logic from VISA/MC standpoint. If revolut starts issuing virtual cards and then let people use them in apple pay all that does is generate cost and very little income for revolut?

It certainly doesnt sound like a very stable business model?

Why? A card added to Apple Pay generates much more turnover due to being much more convenient. I use Revolut only on trips abroad because Apple Pay isn’t supported.

There are plenty virtual only Apple Pay providers out there. That can’t be it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, except that the Apple Pay card’s card number can’t be used for cardholder-not-present transactions, e.g. by entering it on a web site. The card number is valid only in conjunction with a transaction-specific dynamic security code, which means using Apple Pay.

How about just enabling Apple Pay for virtual cards, rather than inventing a card type that doesn’t exist :thinking: since the card numbers generated by Apple Pay are stored on your device only (hence why TfL doesn’t cap to Apple Pay underlying cards)

Apple pay costs revolut a fair bit, if the customer cant use it because apple pay isnt supported well…

I guess i view it from swedish stand point, here adoption of rfid card readers has been very slow and only about 1/3 or maybe ½ of readers so far support apple pay or google pay.

I couldn’t get by very long without a physical card here.

That’s not true at all. My girlfriend and I both enjoy daily and weekly fare capping on TfL using Apple Pay. We have to enter the underlying card number into the TfL web site, but TfL has an arrangement with card issuers to map the Apple Pay virtual card number to the entered physical card number.

1 Like

Ok, I’m looking at it from a Swiss point of view. There are hardly any terminals not supporting Apple Pay (only old ones, indicating that your business sucks anyway).

However, if it is not worth it because people don’t use contactless much, people will not add the card, and Revolut will not have to pay anything.

1 Like

If you look at countries where Apple Pay is available for longer and many banks participate, you can still see that mobile payment isn’t replacing cards but accompanying it. UK is a good example for this.

1 Like

And what would be the benefit over just using any card (virtual or physical), enable Apple Pay, and if desired disable other kinds of transactions in the card settings?

From what I’ve read if you were to use Apple Pay on your watch, then your phone, then they both die and you use your card, there’d be 3 separate cards as far as they’re concerned.

I read this from TfL themselves on their website. Not sure how up to date this is.

The physical card uses the actual card number. The others use made-up numbers (device account number) only the issuer can map to your actual card.

The physical card, iPhone Apple Pay card and Apple Watch Apple Pay card all have separate card numbers. The rule with TfL is always to touch in and out with the same card number, including within daily and weekly capping periods. The same applies with any type of card - nothing different for Apple Pay.

2 Likes

I mean, that was my understanding that I was trying to convey but you said it was wrong and that TfL has deals with the issuers :sweat_smile::joy:

There is no Revolut on Czech page of Apple Pay. (http://apple.com/cz/apple-pay/)

1 Like