Apple Pay support

OK thank you. Although 2% is a lot :wink:

0.5 % at the 4.95Ā£ Plus account. If you use the referral system you can get the account for free for a few months until Revolut will activate Apple Pay.

1 Like

So, acording to Czech article Apple Pay is coming to the Czech republic on February 19th. And some other countries shoud come on that day too. But ofc itā€™s based only on some rumours.

https://www.idnes.cz/ekonomika/domaci/apple-pay-datum-spusteni.A190207_102057_ekonomika_map1

3 Likes

I already have an account, which is the starter pack and which is enough for me just for Apple Pay, but thanks for the hint :slight_smile:

1 Like

So itā€™s 0.5% per transaction + 4.95 per month. Itā€™s better, but still a lot for Apple Pay.

The starter plan is a lot more attractive than the Plus to be fair (if ONLY for Apple Pay use), especially now that they removed the ā‚¬/Ā£2 minimum. Spend 8p more on a Ā£4 coffee.

1 Like

And again, in EURO countries there is no FX fee.

1 Like

so what if your bill is under 2 euro? you cant pay it with monese card or exchange fee will be bigger then 2% ?

You can make payments under ā‚¬2! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thats nice. Hope Revolut will work on the same way like Monese once they accept ApplePay (talking about not limiting users with where they live, all Monese cards are from the same country and ApplePay accepted).

2 Likes

The 2Ā£/Euro limit is only for the ATM withdrawals, not POS Apple Pay payment.

I donā€™t understand why we are talking about moneseā€¦

4 Likes

Because they understood our needsā€¦probably from this community :slight_smile: , and we are on an Apple Pay request topic.

1 Like

Anyway, probably Revolut implementation (sadly) will be not like Monese since they already started back then to ship already country BIN-specific cards :frowning:

6 Likes

Letā€™s take a look at the market and history of Apple Pay in Europe. Broadly, there are three different categories of issuers:

• Banks that operate locally in EU-countries
  • Banks that operate in many or all EEA-counties
  • And a rogue example: Boon

1st category
Letā€™s pick Barclays as an Example. Barclays offers current accounts in the UK. If a Romanian resident is able to open a UK Barclays account, his card can be added to his iPhone for Apple Pay (when he changes the phone region temporarily to any country where Apple Pay is available.)

Important here is that the Bank itself decides if it wants to offer the account to the Romanian resident. Barclays has no market presence in Romania. But they can of course sell their products in the single market. Another example is KBC. KBC allowed it for German residents to open an account in Ireland. This way, German customer were able to use Apple Pay before it officially launched in Germany. But: please note that KBC does not ā€žoperateā€œ in Germany. They ā€žjustā€œ sell their banking services via the single market there.

For banks that fall into this category, itā€™s true that Apple Pay only relies on the country of issuance, the ā€œhome countryā€ of the bank. If itā€™s a UK bank (or any other country where Apple Pay is availabe), the card will work independently from a customerā€™s legal residency.

2nd category
Now Banks that do operate in many EU countries. Like N26 or Revolut. Their banking apps are available in many localized app stores. N26 is a German bank. French customers get cards that are issued in Germany. They get a German IBAN as account number. When Apple Pay became available in France, French customers were able to add their cards while German customers werenā€™t. Apple probably made sure that N26 had the technical means to control this.

There was a case where a German customer tried to fool them: he changed his registered address to a French address. He then was able to use Apple Pay. When N26 found out that the French address wasnā€™t his residency, they cancelled his account due to a T&Cs violation. He made false statements about his residency.

For banks that fall into this category, it seems that Apple does demand restrictions. Users like to find ways around it, but the example Bunq also shows that the banks feel pressure to make sure that Apple Pay is only available to customers with residency in a country where Apple Pay is available. See N26, Bunq, and most likely Revolut.

3rd category
Boon is a weird one. Boon technically falls into category 2. Boon is a brand of a German bank (Wirecard) that also has banking licenses in other countries (like the UK). When Apple Pay became availabe in Ireland and France, there was a well documented workaround how customers from other countries could use Boon in their country despite Apple Pay being not available in their country of residence.

I believe Wirecard was clever here: they ā€œoutsourcedā€ the country verification to Apple! When a German customer wanted to use Apple Pay with a French Boon account, he had to set up a French Apple ID. The boon app was not available in the German App Store at that time! But with a French Apple ID in the French store, the app was availabe for download. It wasnā€™t Wirecardā€™s responsibility anymore to do the ID check, it was Appleā€™s own responsibility. And the irony is that Apple does not verify Apple ID addresses as long as thereā€™s no payment method added. And the Boon app is free. So Wirecard basically ā€œfooledā€ Apple here. Technically, using a wrong address with Apple ID is probably a violation of Appleā€™s T&Cs, but that does not affect Wirecard. German customers were able to open French accounts with their German passports and addresses and they could use Apple Pay that way.

I assume that Apple wasnā€™t very happy about this. But also didnā€™t care enough (Boon is not that relevant) to do anything about it. But Apple did make sure that whenever a new partner bank onboarded after Boon that this was prevented.

Conclusion: Apple wants tight control over Apple Pay availability. And there is not one single mechanism taking care of this but individual agreements and technical implementations. Itā€™s based on where and how and to what extend a partner bank operates.

Disclaimer: I am using ā€œwhere Apple Pay is availableā€ with the same meaning Apple is when it defines ā€œcountries and regions that support Apple Payā€ (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207957).

8 Likes

@Frank, everything you say is very plausible and no doubt correct, but my point was purely about consumer perception when I wrote ā€œApple Pay is usually released based on the country of the card issuer. It would be reasonable and natural for typical consumers (as opposed to us in this thread) to believe, from Revolutā€™s unspecific public statements, that the same will apply to Revolutā€œ in criticism of Revolutā€™s ambiguous tweet.

2 Likes

Apple Pay will come to Revolut soon.

You should take into account that Boon was an early partner. They launched the Apple Pay version of their App in the UK before Apple Pay was even available anywhere else in Europe (May 2016). At the time international/global digital banking apps were virtually non-existent. This means that Apple probably didnā€™t even realize what they got themselves into and hence allowed Boon to just release different apps for different app stores with no residence checks on their own.

More recent partners like N26 probably have quite different contracts in place in which the responsibility is shifted to N26.

I donā€™t quite understand N26ā€™s approach. Apple Pay is available in Poland. But Polish users still cannot add their cards to Apple Pay.

Iā€™m afraid Revolutā€™s rollout will be similar like that.

1 Like

Yes, sorry if that wasnā€™t clear. I believe thatā€™s true.

Donā€™t even joke, please.

1 Like