Apple Pay support

Thanks @Dotunmo - you raise another good question. I now see two possibilities for how Revolut might restrict this by country:

• If the user’s iPhone’s region is set to a country where Apple Pay is available for local card issuers (which is how it works for other card issuers).
  • If the user has a postal address in a country where Apple Pay is available for local card issuers (ignored by other card issuers).

It will be limited to the BIN. If your home address is for example Germany. Revolut will issue you a card with a German BIN.

If you lived before in Africa, and you have a Card with an African BIN it will never work unless Apple Pay starts in Africa too.

ok Andreas but then could you please coordinate with your colleagues of communication and social media team? because they wrote on Facebook and Twitter that apple pay will land soon only in Germany and then it will be deployed in other countries later.

Yep and thats exactly what will happen from Revoluts side. They will add more and more countries which support Apple Pay. Not more not less :smile:

I don’t get why people think Revolut has the power to “force” Apple to launch everywhere :smile:

What does “launch everywhere” mean? Which of the following do you mean to include in “everywhere”?

• The user’s iPhone’s region is set to a country where Apple Pay is not available for local card issuers.
  • The user has a postal address in a country where Apple Pay is not available for local card issuers.

Its all about billing address.
If someone ordered a card in Germany then the apple pay will be available.
If someone ordered a card in an unsupported country for apple pay then there is no apple pay at this country.

STOP thinking revolut as an UK company in every sense.

1 Like

Re read what I wrote before and @Water-Fire also said it.

It’s all about your Postal Address.

If you set your iPhone region to an supported country, you will be able to get Apple Pay, but Revolut WONT work since it’s like 100 times said, BIN based.

You live in Germany = German BIN = Supported Country from Apple = Apple Pay will work.
You live in Africa = Africa BIN = Unsupported Country from Apple = Apple Pay wont work.

If you lived in Africa and moved to Germany, you will need to order a NEW Card to be able to get a German BIN to use Apple Pay.

From a other Thread:

Revolut started to issue localised BIN cards only a few months ago. All of us that received Revolut cards before that, have a UK BIN card. Do you think that Revolut will replace all those cards with new cards just to restrict their own customers ? I don’t think so.

1 Like

Well they do it with GPay so they will do it with Apple Pay too

Thanks for confirming what I tried explaining many a times @anon33247966. I was actually losing my will to draw breath as I had to say multiple times that Apple is not going to undermine their own launch.

Looks like me and @Iskender were right. What a surprise? Nice to put this topic to death though. Out of spite I hope it gets delayed further :joy:

3 Likes

With Revolut just getting their banking license…

That is probably why Apple Pay is delayed. Revolut looks like soon they want to move away from prepaid cards to debit cards and they want to supply debit cards first before applying Apple Pay. If they have Apple Pay now, if Revolut wants to move to debit cards, they’ll have to stop Apple Pay and reapply. Not worth the time.

A banking license and Apple Pay are not related. There are multiple Fin-tech companies or even meal ticket companies like Sodexo that have nothing to do with a banking license but they are Apple Pay enabled.

2 Likes

That is implausible. There is no reason that Revolut could not simultaneously support Apple Pay both for prepaid debit cards and non-prepaid debit cards.

1 Like

You didn’t understand. You can have Apple Pay with prepaid cards. I didn’t say you can’t.

This is not possible.

On what basis do you say that this is not possible?

Revolut have NO reason to not support the thousands and thousands of cards they have already issued. They will work when Apple Pay is launched.

IF Revolut decides to issue Debit Cards (non-prepaid) when the Banking License is in effect, then both of them will work with Apple Pay. It makes no sense from a business perspective to replace all of those cards.

3 Likes

We’re getting there ! https://twitter.com/RevolutApp/status/1072458981237551105

Because Revolut wants to have an in-house payment processor, like Monzo. They are probably already working with Apple to make sure their in-house payment processor works with it. They are copying Monzo, there is no point applying Apple Pay NOW with their 3rd party processor when they have plans to move to their own. Money and time will be wasted.

And most likely, like Monzo, we will need new cards when their new processor is done.

This is not a reason for it not being possible.

Yes there is. The answer is right there. Money and time will be wasted.

Honestly, Revolut isn’t going to release Apple Pay…THEN take it away from us while they are moving to their new in-house processor, then later release Apple Pay again.