Apple Pay support

I do not think it is coming in 2018, this is turning out like a big joke… I think I’m going to n26 soon… (but not soon like revolut soon I mean soon soon)

2 Likes

If you check Apple’s france website, it still says coming soon, which means it’s up to a month,or less…

1 Like

But it is only for France, and they did not even start testing it in the beta app so there is no real evidence…we know this coming soon thing… And I little fear it will be a country based where Apple Pay is supported, hope my fears will not become true…

1 Like

As far as I know, Apple doesn’t want a “beta test”. It’s either live or not. And I would assume that it is limited to billing addresses in countries where Apple Pay is officially available, if N26 and Bunq are any evidence. No more Boon loopholes.

It is not a loophole but how Boon offer Apple pay officially in Germany and Austria than?

They do not offer it officially there. The Boon app is localized. You need to download the app from the local iTunes Store from a country where Apple Pay is supported. The Boon app is not available at all at the German app store. Only if you use a fake Apple ID with a billing address from that same country, you can set up Boon. (Which is, most likely, already a breach of the iTunes T&Cs. Apple just does not care much about this. But how this is tied into the long history of iTunes DRM is a completely different story :wink: )

Wirecard “outsourced” the liability for the country check to Apple. Clever. And I believe Bunq and N26 are evidence that Apple made sure that this isn’t happening again.

1 Like

Oh… you boil down my hopes for Apple Pay than…:cry:

I would not mind if I am proven wrong :wink: . And Apple is bringing Apple Pay to more countries slowly. So fingers crossed.

1 Like

@Frank, I do not know if the app is on the German/Austrian/Belgium store but the site is officially telling me that is supported:

Boon is available in Germany, but only on Anddoid. Check their German website. You’ll only find a Play Store button.

(And Wirecard wasn’t using Google Pay for it but their own app when they introduced it since Android allows access to the NFC chip. Since Google Pay started in Germany recently, they now do support Google Pay.)

1 Like

Oh I see, then it is almost clear that will happen…

Hey guys, thanks for the conversation and for sharing my first world problem. Please be so kind and stop making up facts you don’t know anything about. I assume nobody of you knows anything about the policys of Apple pay. If yes you would not write about here, as Apple has some pretty hard contracts. It goes even so far that real players, let’s say the biggest German financial institution is not allowed to talk about it. So it doesn’t help to give reasons without proof. At the end boon is working with a trick, that was communicated as “official” tryout for Germany. Apple would shut it down rapidly, if they wanted to. As wirecard is not even close to any relevant in the sector. Bunq is in a market where fees are normal. So they don’t bother with non paying consumers from other countries, just leeching their good processing. Why would they make such a feature available to customers who will never use the account for any else than online gambling (the product was never competitive in the German market for example). Revolut is offering to all customers in the EU. So the exclusion of single counties will be a deal breaker for many. So let’s hope the best…

In Germany and Austria only GPay is supported.

And this Apple Pay “support” cat and mouse game BS makes no sense in Euro zone.

Well, there is some lack of understanding of the principle of the EU single market, I agree. At least Apple is consistent here. It also does not make sense that their iTunes Store DRM is tied to the BIN country code. This also does not make sense from a EU perspective, especially since they could easily achieve this with AVS instead.

2 Likes

In other words it makes it even easier to spend money without thinking? This must be all merchants dream come true.

For the sake of people’s finances, this apple and Google pay delay sounds like a good thing :yum:

First, let them pay thier taxes and then we’ll see about google and Apple Pay.

That’s a non-sequitur. My decision to pay money to a merchant is not influenced by the ease with which I can transact. My decision is influenced only by whether I need the product and whether the price is good value. However, my decision as to whether or not to pay with Revolut (instead of with another card) is very much influenced by the ease with which I can pay, so Revolut’s delay in Apple Pay is detrimental to Revolut.

3 Likes

It comes down to exactly that, is it truly your decision?

I’m in no hurry getting the solutions, how ever I do see why people of today would want it. I guess I’m very old in mind if not in body :rofl:

The delay may be related to the banking license if Apple have such requirement