Apple Pay support

9 Likes

Hey @TheTruth no comment :wink:

1 Like

Apple Pay does not need any public beta testing. (I don’t think Apple doesn’t allow that anyway)

2 Likes

Beta testing of the Apple Pay feature inside Revolut probably. To instruct the employees, etc.

Hi Lajos,

Yes, I can confirm, this is the way I use it :slight_smile:
You have to have Boon Plus account to be able to do so. And yes, I went through the whole SAGA with sending my bills and documents for approval but it’s worth it.
You can top up your Boon account with Revolut, but I suggest using TransferWise instead both for Revolut and Boon. This way you can send EUR to both at internet bank rates (“közĂ©pĂĄrfolyam”) and at not the rates provided by your local Hungarian bank. You will save cca. 4% on this, maybe a little more.

Once we will be able to top up our HUF Revolut account with card (still not available :frowning: ), it will not be an issue but in the meantime I prefer this solution.

Have a nice day!

@Revolut, any update on Apple Pay? Give us something, as now seeing the google guys enjoying themselves, we are going crazy :slight_smile: .

Patience, it can take couple of weeks to finalize everything for AP. :slight_smile:

Got it :innocent: . Thanks a lot.

I think it is more complex than this. As far as I know, N26 does indeed limit the Apple Pay functionality based on a registered residency address. N26 does not issue “local” cards, most (or all) are issued in Germany. And with Bunq, it works similarly, I belive.

I believe it is handled differently depending on the bank. The main difference seems to be if a card issuer (bank) is present in a given market with a product, available for customers in different countries:

Case 1: A bank offers services to local residents. Let’s say Barclays UK. Barclays does not offer UK current accounts for users outside of the UK on a regular basis. Barclays cards can be added to Apple Pay. So it seems Apple is happy with the situation that obtaining a Barclays account in the first place limits their Apple Pay capabilities to UK residents. (And they don’t care about a very small number of Barclays UK customers that do live outside of the UK – if you get the account, you can get Apple Pay.)

Case 2: A bank offers services to EU residents. Like N26, Revolut, Bunq: Apple seems to demand that the card issuer takes additional measures to limit Apple Pay to residents of countries where Apple Pay is officially rolled out.

Case 3: Boon. Wirecard was early on the market with the product. They would fall into the 2nd category here, and technically, it’s also not supported for, let’s say, German customers. There is a loophole that we all know: the iTunes account needs to be changed (not just the region). In that case, boon is “shuffling off” the responsibility to Apple here, and Apple does not verify Apple ID account addresses. Legally, registering an Apple ID with a fake address is a violation of the iTunes T&Cs. It’s just that Apple does not care at this point. So downloading an app version that should be, in principle, only available to French residents, allows then to set up a card that works with Apple Pay, despite having a German billing address with Wirecard. That is clever on Wirecard’s part, and it seems that Apple did not like how that went and made sure to be in control since then.

About early availability in France:
Revolut did say during an event in London (video still available on their Facebook page) that Apple Pay will most likely roll out in France first.

1 Like

Sorry Frank, BOON doesn’t work like that.

I’m italian and I live in Belgium, I didn’t change the region of iTunes, I’ve simply downloaded the BOON app from the app-store and I’ve added the card to Apple Pay despite the fact that Apple Pay is not active in Belgium yet. I’ve just changed the region of my phone. The only “limitation” in order to activate the service is to have an italian sim card (with +39 code) where receiving the SMS.

This might have changed then.

So what’s your Boon billing address for the virtual card? Italian? Belgium? And your Apple ID is Belgium as well?

The boon app is not available at the German iOS App Store at all. It becomes available after switching regions, but to actually install it, an Apple ID with corresponding country is necessary.

I’ve put my italian address and my italian number during the activation. But even if I change the country of the phone to France, Uk, it doesn’t change and it works

When you’re referring to “activation”, what do you mean? Boon activation, Apple ID activation?

As far as I know, changing region of the phone makes it possible to add cards to Apple Pay. But that is the 2nd step. The first step is to obtain an account with an Apple Pay enabled card.

When initially setting up a phone with an Italian address + number and then changing the (phone) region, the initial Apple ID will still be Italian. The Apple ID has a separate region setting, independently to the “phone” region.

Well, why not, Apple Pay is available in all these countries. :wink:

I didn’t change the apple ID, my apple ID has a billing address in Belgium.

just for your information here are the details about how I’ve obtained a BOON card in Apple Pay while living in Belgium. First of all I have 3 different Apple ID, the main one (to which the iphone is linked) is a belgian Apple ID, then I have a secondary italian Apple ID and a third US apple ID.

But the important fact is that the iphone is linked to the main Apple ID and it’s a Belgian one.

1. I went in the App Store and I logged in with the italian Apple ID just in order to download the BOON app (that isn’t available in the belgian app store), then I’ve changed back the Apple ID in the App Store to the belgian one

2. I’ve activated the boon account with a +39 phone number and I got the boon virtual mastercard

3. I’ve changed the phone region to Italy in Settings - General - Language & Region

4. I’ve added the card to Apple Pay

1 Like

Exactly! And this is what I described. For downloading the Italian boon app, the Italian Apple ID is necessary. And since Apple does not verify Apple ID addresses (I can set up an Italian Apple account here right now with a fake but valid Italian address), this is a verification loophole.* You’re right that the phone has not to be set permanently to that specific Apple ID. But you confirmed now that you had to change your Apple ID to an Italian one in the first place.

*Apple uses card issuance codes or country specific gift cards for this. This is archaic and does not make sense in a cross boarder single market like the EEA, but this is how DRM works for iTunes since the beginning.

yes but this scenario doesn’t apply to revolut, because the revolut app is available worldwide with all Apple IDs.

So I don’t know how they can restrict the usage of Apple Pay only to France.

The same way N26 and Bunq do it.

N26 issues local cards that’s why you can use your N26 for iTunes of your country.